Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Frankfurt vs. Heathrow for 15 yr. old travelling alone?

Jan 8th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

My 15 yr. old will be flying alone to Barcelona from Canada. I am deciding whether to book her on Air Canada & Luftansa thru Frankfurt or British Airways thru Heathrow. The travel times and connection times are the same for each. We will get aeroplan flyer pts with Air Canada; but I would like opinions on which itinery would would the easiest for a 15 year old travelling alone. Neither offers unaccompanied minor assistance. Thank You.
Jan 8th, 2007, 03:25 PM

Is this her first unaccompanied trip ?

We always use Frankfurt (or Munich) as our preferred gateways and never found any problems to find our way from gate to gate. I would definitely opt for Frankfurt and collecting additional miles with Staralliance as I do not see any reason to prefer Heathrow instead.
BTW Heathrow has a worst reputation for misconnecting luggage !
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:30 AM

It will probably be easier for her to find her way in Frankfurt. She will arrive in the middle section of terminal A and have to walk over by a special connection to terminal B (which takes 15min at most). There are these moving ways (sorry for my English), so she won't have a problem with carry-on baggage.

All signage is in English and everybody speaks English well.
Jan 9th, 2007, 08:31 AM

I forgot my main point for Frankfurt: The hassle with security checks at Heathrow!
Jan 9th, 2007, 10:48 AM
J62

Is Munich an option? That's much easier to navigate than Frankfurt. Air Canada is a Star Alliance partner, so she would arrive at the main Lufthansa terminal.

At FRA she will likely may arrive and depart from the same terminal A just needing to go down 1 level after passport control, then get herself to the departure gate. It could be Term B but could also be Term A.

LH often does not post exact gate numbers till about 1hr before departure, so the boards may just say terminal A.

But as 1959 says she can ask LH employee (or several along the way) and they will gladly help.

Jan 9th, 2007, 12:42 PM

traveller 1959 there is no longer need to walk that long way between A and B along the multicoloured lighted tunnel. There is now an elevated train that makes the half circle in about one minute. We did it two days ago and it was a nice surprise !

J62, as far as I know there are no direct flights from Canada to Munich in winter schedule, while there is a Lufthansa flight to/from Montreal in summer schedule.
If Montreal is the departing point, then Munich is a perfect choice !