Frankfurt connection time?

Old May 8th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frankfurt connection time?

Have 1 hr. 10 min. connection in FRA from Venice to SFO flight (Lufthansa/UA codeshare). How tight is this? Will we be delayed by German Customs or will luggage go straight through to SFO without having to be claimed, inspected, and rechecked?
Old May 8th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Luggage will be checked through. I haven't flown out of FRA, but usually passport control for getting out of a European country is extremely quick.

Since it is a US-bound flight, sometimes there may be extra security check, though not all the time.

The connection is somewhat tight, but I don't think you should be overly concerned.
Old May 8th, 2005, 02:19 PM

I've done the FRA to SFO route a number of times (FRA being the stopover)..its fairly quick and painless. Luggage goes straight through to your destination. The connection albeit tight should not be that bad -always better to ask for a seat in the front of the plane should the plane be delayed leaving Venice..
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:20 AM

when I flew through Frankfurt last month (arrving on Lufthansa from Barcelona, leaving for US on United), it was a long trek between gates. Had to go through passport control (exiting EU) and very thorough security screening to enter the area for departures to the US.
Depending on where your Venice flight docks, you could have a long haul to your next flight. Just don't dilly-dally.
Old May 10th, 2005, 04:39 PM

Agree with those who posted above. I connected through FRA yesterday on a Rome to SF itinerary, using LH to FRA and then UA to SFO. Although I had an hour and 45 minute layover at FRA, the plane was a few minutes late taking off from Rome, and I was seated near the back. By the time I found the gate for the on-going flight (which involved a tram ride), the UA plane was boarding. Ask for a seat near the front of your first flight, study the FRA map in the LH mag and know the LH and UA gates for your flight at FRA. You should be fine.
Old May 11th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for the good advice. But now I learn (from Fodors first, as always), we have to sweat the UA situation. "It's always somethin'"!