Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Should I joint the Spirit Airlines $9 Club???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I hear mixed things about Spirit Airlines (like they are the worst company in America). I have never flown them before. Should I join their $9 club to give them a try? I live in the New Jersey suburbs of New York and it seems I'd have to fly out of Atlantic City.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 10:58 AM

I vote NO. They have successfully defined the low bar of service. If they got any worse, they would risk beign charged with crimes against humanity.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

OK, I'll definitely put that in the "NO" column!

It's scary because flying has become unpleasant enough as it is.
Old Apr 13th, 2012, 10:52 PM

If they fly the routes you want to fly, and you fly them more than a couple times each year, then why not?
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 06:10 PM

Have you looked to see if there are in fact $9 flights from and to where you want to go? Every time I have looked, there are no flights for that amount [do they keep them hidden unless you are a member?] They have so many fees that add on to the ticket price that the end result looks very different than that bargain fare.
Old Apr 15th, 2012, 07:30 AM

This company is the worst, I have used them over the past 15 years. Mainly because new york to myrtle beach they have monopolized...They dissapoint me everytime. Seats are cramped, unless you want to pay more, carry on you guessed it pay more, now 40lb limit, no such thing. their employs are incompedent, they tell us flight is delayed for 1hr 15 mins. we walked 30 ft away from gate, informed them we were getting a bite to eat. and the plane left 3 mins earlier than the original departure time. never even caled our names. It costs extra to have your name announce ....stay away
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Yikes! I rarely see actual $9 fares anywhere I want to go. They are cheap but I'd have to fly from Atlantic City (which is two and a half hours away from me). Now, if that is the difference between $9 and $300, it would make me think.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 11:09 AM

If nothing goes wrong then you will probably be fine. If anything goes wrong remember what you paid, the price just became clear. This is a company whose CEO has gone on record as saying "Customer Service doesn't matter people just fly us because we are cheap"

So if you only vote "GEE IT'S CHEAP" and realize you may get what you paid for then go with them. (Me I will stay home first)

(And yes they are like EasyJet and RyanAir, but the EU has a few more customer protections then the US does )