Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   FRA - How long to clear immigration/customs? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/fra-how-long-to-clear-immigration-customs-746696/)

LilRicky Nov 5th, 2007 06:02 AM

FRA - How long to clear immigration/customs?

I am flying JFK/FRA on Lufthansa later this autumn, sitting in Economy Class (near the front of the section). I will have carry-on baggage only.

I would like to reserve a seat on a train from Frankfurt upon arrival (connecting with the Frankfurt Airport train).

How quickly does one move through immigration and customs there? I will have nothing to declare. Just trying to get a sense of best timing for the train.

Thank you!

wally34949 Nov 5th, 2007 06:41 AM

This can really vary. What time do you arrive at, how many planes arrive, and how many people are working. The longest I have ever waiting at any customs is one hour. That was in Rome and Moscow.

bettyk Nov 5th, 2007 03:50 PM

We just went thru Frankfurt in mid September. We were flying American and were suppose to land at 7:20 AM but were a late leaving DFW so we didn't arrive until after 8 AM. For some reason, Immigration was backed up and it took us about 30-40 minutes to get thru. Once we retrieved our luggage, Customs was a breeze since we had nothing to declare.

simpsonc510 Nov 6th, 2007 05:46 AM

LilRicky
I am also flying into FRA, later on in November. I have a train to catch to Kassel. I've done this several times before. I have NEVER purchased my train ticket to Kassel before leaving the USA. I always go to the rail station and buy my ticket after landing and clearing customs. I've always caught the train I was hoping to take... knock on wood. I hope my luck continues... I've always had just over one hour from landing time to boarding my departing train.

Hope you can do the same!

Carol

simpsonc510 Nov 6th, 2007 05:47 AM

Should have added that I always have check bags to collect, and that has not been a big delay in the past.

traveller1959 Nov 6th, 2007 05:59 AM

Customs/immigration will take a couple of minutes. But deboarding the train, walking inside the terminal will take some time. And you never know how punctual the flight will be (often these flights arrive earlier).

You should allow 45 min.

But actually, it does not matter. Just go to the platform and take the next train which goes in your direction. Seat reservation is not required, but it may be more convenient (I sometimes reserve seats for two consecutive trains if I am not sure which one I will get). If you do not have a reservation the restaurant car might be a good idea.

BTW, you can even buy your ticket on the train (just a little more expensive).

LilRicky Nov 6th, 2007 06:15 AM

Thanks so much for your replies.

It makes sense to me, then, to delay purchase of my ticket until arrival. However, I will plan to buy the return before I depart the USA, as I must be on a specific train!

traveller1959 Nov 6th, 2007 07:27 AM

Oh. LilRicky, I am sorry to say that, but there are currently strikes on the Bahn - so watch the news if strikes are announced for the day of your return flight (to avoid an unpleasant surprise).

On the European forum, there are threads about train strikes in Germany.

simpsonc510 Nov 6th, 2007 09:45 AM

traveller
Can you reference (link) the thread on the Europe forum please? I just went over there and searched "bahn" and did not come up with anything about strikes.
Thanks.
Carol

simpsonc510 Nov 6th, 2007 05:29 PM

traveller
Never mind. I've found several threads now. I just hope to be able to get up-to-the-minute information as my trip draws nearer. I've emailed friends who live near FRA for their input.