Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

For folks complaining about the service on DL , this one's for you

May 8th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Last Thursday evening in Houston, the next to the last Delta flt of the evening to Atl had departed. It returned with mechanical problems. Now we have 2 plane loads of passengers wanting to get on the last flt of the evening. Well, in a relatively short time the mechanical was okay. The pilots told the gate agents that the plane was okay but the Flight Attendants had timed out for the day so the flt would have to cancel. Well - three off duty flight attendants were at the gate - waiting with everyone else. They talked with the pilot and offered to work the flt back to Atl if the pilots and the 'powers that be' wanted to do that. After a few phone calls, it was decided the 3 off duty FAs would take the flt back to ATL!!. So - Delta got everybody where they wanted to be that night - even if the FAs were wearing jeans!
May 8th, 2011, 12:33 PM

That's what you call professionalism.
May 8th, 2011, 05:51 PM

Nice story and good to see bureaucracy not getting in the way.
May 9th, 2011, 04:29 AM

just one of the many downsides to mergermania.

they massively raise costs and cut jobs/benes

to increase seat/mile revenue.

On CO after united merger waited 5 hours in the

airplane for a flight crew violation of FAA guides.

So now I am back to AA.com got 80000 miloes on 2

FF miles AAdvantage cards now already have enough

for 2 free flights to europe.

So I vote with my feet and my wallet when shafted.
May 9th, 2011, 08:02 AM

Granted, I'm a Platinum Delta flyer, so the experience may differ for others, but I have absolutely zero complaints about the quality of the service I receive from Delta. I have other complaints about the airline, but I think their service quality is pretty good.
May 9th, 2011, 03:11 PM

Ditto, travelgourmet.
May 9th, 2011, 10:25 PM

I agree with travelgourmet also. My only complaint with Dl is their website. I liked the NWA website much more - it was much more user friendly.
May 10th, 2011, 07:47 AM

Last evening I wanted to cancel a ticket under Delta's 24-hour no risk (no fee) cancellation policy. I purchased the ticket on delta.com . I have used the policy once before this spring when coordinating plans with others.

The website said I could not cancel online, to call reservations. I used the number on the back of my Silver card and had a relatively long wait and a bad internet connection.

Unfortunately, the agent did not know the rule and tried to tell me that the policy meant 24-hrs from the time the actual reservation is made rather than up until midnight of the next day as the website clearly states. She would put me on hold and look things up, but return with the same statement. She kept asking me what time I made the reservation rather than looking it up. Eventually her supervisor looked at the reservation and could tell it had been less than 24 hours (which isn't the rule anyway). The supervisor who said the reservation could be canceled under the rule, but that one of the coupons for one of the segments was not open so he had to make changes to the reservation to allow the agent to cancel it for me. (I don't know what that means.)

In the end, I did get decent customer service--the agent was polite and following procedure. But I did have to be persistently polite too and know she was wrong.

One question for you guys. Their website says not all international flights may be eligible for the no risk cancel policy, but I can't find any description of which ones are or aren't. I'd like to know for future reference. How do you get the best information about a rule like this from Delta? I'm not having any luck searching the terms and conditions--just says some may not be eligible. Should I just keep calling the reservations desk and hope for someone who can find the information? Talk to an agent in person at the airport or a ticket office (if they still have any)?
May 11th, 2011, 09:10 AM
TC

I'm just guessing, but it might be that they are unable to extend this service if the Intl. flight is on a KLM, Air France or other code share partner airline. Try calling a SkyMiles agent. They seem to be helpful or try calling and asking for a supervisor LATE AT NIGHT. I find everyone is more helpful on the night shift. They have more time.
May 11th, 2011, 05:16 PM

The option will come up when you make a booking before you pay.Iberia also offers that on their website. Great feature.
May 12th, 2011, 06:28 AM

TC,
codeshare was my guess too, but I couldn't find anything on the site to say if that is a disqualifier. In the end, the supervisor said it was eligible just that the coupon was not open on one leg (but was open on other codeshare legs), so if he was correct, that would mean codeshare was not the problem.
I did rebook the trip with a different return.
Now we will see if the refund comes through. I did note the day/time of the conversation and asked the agent for her name. The only other time I used this option, the refund appeared in about 2 weeks.

"Delta’s Best Fare Guarantee ensures that you will always find Delta’s best fares when you book international flights at delta.com. And, if you need to cancel your plans within 24 hours of reservation, you can do so risk-free." This could be interpreted as Delta, not codeshare.

I don't remember a statement coming up before I paid that the booking did or did not qualify for the the no-risk guarantee this time or when I made my last Delta booking a couple of months ago. My next booking is a FF miles redemption, so I know I won't see it then.

I can't find anything on any of the pages about the no-risk guarantee that mentions international tickets may have different cancellation fees--that seems to be on the general refund pages. The instructions do say "check to see if your reservation qualifies", but does not say how to check. My telephone call to check provided incorrect information.