Food

Feb 20th, 2001, 08:55 AM
jesse

Food

Do airlines allow you to bring your own food/snacks on board? If so does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Feb 21st, 2001, 05:15 PM
xxx

Methinks Jesse is a troll.

Feb 22nd, 2001, 05:57 AM
jesse

I have never flown before & have heard nothing good about airline food. Including layovers it will take 15 hrs to get to my destination and only one flight (the 7 1/2 hr one) has any food served on it.

Now maybe someone out there can answer my question.

I don't want to spend outrageous prices in an airport for lunch, or go hungry due to bad airline food if I don't have to.

Does anyone have any real suggestions or does everyone on this board just go around calling people names?

Feb 22nd, 2001, 11:56 AM
hi there

there will probably be 2 meals and possibly a snack on a 7 1/2hr flt. yes the food will most likely be pretty bad but usually something is edible. you can pack snacks, technically i don't think you're supposed to bring food on plane but i always do (i travel with kids and can't depend on plane food). i suggets food thats easy to carry and easy to eat (nothing messy). granola bars, an easy to eat sandwich, a bagel, things like that. also food at airports has improved over the years. most large airports have the basic fast food chains and the priced are too bad. also, try to eat a decent meal right before you leave.

Feb 23rd, 2001, 05:22 AM
jesse

Thank you for the info.

Mar 13th, 2001, 08:37 PM
Maggie

Why wouldn't you be allowed to take food onboard? And who is going to stop you? You can't bring food from one country to another, but they usually check that at the end point, not the departure point.

When I flew home from Heathrow to Logan I brought a sandwich onboard along with a drink. Nobody said anything except my seatmate...he'd wished he'd done the same.

I usually ask for one thing upon boarding and I've never been refused: Water. The moment I board I ask the attendant for water. I always get it, even on the cheapie Delta Express, which, by the way, is not so cheap anymore....

Mar 14th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Munchy

I always bring a sandwich with me -- no reason you can't, too. I would think the main contraints would be 1) if it's a "stinky" (garlic, pickles, etc.) meal, you might be nauseating neighbors and 2)if it generates a lot of garbage (orange peels, lots of aluminum foil, etc.), it will bulk up the waste collection for the attendants.

But it's entirely possible your own flight, jesse, will include something you actually can eat -- depends on the airlines. The longer the flight, the better chance something will be edible; some airlines actually serve pretty good food out of certain kitchens.

Recommend: 1. ask on this board to find out whether others have had particularly good or bad luck with food on your airline, flying out of your airports (e.g., Logan's kitchen may be crummy but Gatwick's might be okay). 2. Order some special meal -- kosher, heart-smart, vegetarian, etc. -- which may have been prepared more recently than the "regular" meals.

Apr 20th, 2001, 02:26 AM
Traveler

If the airlines are going to take my food away, they will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hand (which some of them may actually try). Actually I don't believe they legally could ban food. People who are diabetic need to carry food with them.

Bring food with you!! You can never guarantee that you are going to be served edible food. I especially recommend taking bottled water. And remember, getting anything from a flight attendant while the movie is playing is an impossibility.

Apr 20th, 2001, 08:54 AM
bhhart

being a pikcy eater I have always brought food with me on flights. The food at any airport I ever been in has not been food I choose to eat. I do disagree with Maggie. I travel to Bermuda quite frequently and always bring a food box. Since the first time I went I learned to bring some food. Have a great first time flying (if you haven't gone yet)!

Jun 14th, 2001, 01:24 PM
mimi taylor

We hate airline food and always pack things lik a terrific loaf of bread, goat cheese, olives and a piece of fruit

Jun 16th, 2001, 05:49 PM
Rudy

Airline dinners are basically tv dinners. If you accept that fact, they are OK. My wife and I have flown overseas a lot, and we have yet to encounter a meal that was revolting and inedible. I can't say that about some meals I got at my grandmother's. I can't understand people who continually complain about airline food. They're tv dinners, folks. My mother and father chose to eat tv dinners at home. I'm sure they would have loved airline food.

Jun 21st, 2001, 06:16 AM
Terri

I always bring my own water because I find the air very dehydrating on planes.

If you're worried about the meal, order something special (vegetarian, etc.) Sometimes you will be pleasantly surprised!

Terri & Oliver Tattan
Independent Nikken Wellness Consultants
http://www.wellness-consultant.com/
Ask us how to get 10% off our entire online catalog!