Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Flying Tokyo-YYZ in economy- direct or break it up in YVR?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2016, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm in the early stages of planning a "mini" RTW on miles (aeroplan). I'm still undecided about whether to use up all the miles and fly business, or save some miles for another trip and fly economy.

If I fly economy, I'm wondering about the long transpac flight from Asia back home to Toronto. I've never done such a long flight before. Usually I'm itching to get off the aircraft after 8 hours or so. So my question is, what would you more experienced flyers do, if you were flying economy?

1. Fly direct HND-YYZ, 12 hours

2. Break up the flight in Vancouver, which would mean approx. 9 hours HND/NRT-YVR, then maybe an overnight, then 4.5 hour flight to YYZ
Old Oct 9th, 2016, 06:44 AM

I’ve travelled YYZ to PER (Perth) in economy many times, which is at best a 25 hour journey, often more than 30, with the longest leg being about 16 hours. I’ve sometimes broken up the flight in Hong Kong on the outbound journey but only because we have a son there. If there is an overnight flight followed by a long layover we might book a hotel day room or airport lounge, or if we arrive in Perth in the evening we stay at an airport hotel before travelling the remaining 3-4 hours to our destination.

On the homeward flight we travel straight through. I’m usually itching to get home by that time, and a stopover adds extra cost but doesn’t really give you a chance to enjoy the destination. It is beyond tedious and uncomfortable and exhausting and there is likely to be a moment in the journey when I swear I will never do it again. But then I do.

I’ve never been in the enviable position of having enough points to fly business, but if I were in your position, that’s probably what I’d do even if I could only manage it one way.
Old Oct 9th, 2016, 02:50 PM

I wonder why you are worried about the non-stop flight home to Toronto, which is scheduled to take nearly 90 minutes less than the flight west to Tokyo. Both are long, of course. The difference in time comes from flying into headwinds going west and having the wind boosting the plane along when flying east.
Choosing an itinerary with a transfer of planes, possibly to let you walk around, can bring complications. Some of the connections AC lists are fairly short considering you cross most of continent on the first flight or, coming home, a lot of the Pacific. Others would be too long for me. The airline uses both Haneda and Narita airports for Tokyo, and Haneda is substantially closer to the city centre. AC also has trans-Pacific flights out of Calgary, to complicate your alternatives further.
One further point to watch: Some AC flights are actually AC Rouge, slightly down-market in service. That subsidiary does offer seats with extra leg-room (at extra cost) but not a full-fledged business class.
When I go (as I am planning) I'll look at duration first; I prefer to get the flying over with. And, certainly, cost.
Old Oct 9th, 2016, 05:53 PM

AC2 NRT-YYZ is on 787-9, average flight time is around 11:15:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA2

AC4 NRT-YVR is on their 777-300ER, horrible if you're flying economy. Average flight time around 8 hours:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA2

Trust me, you'll be much better off flying direct, unless you really want to spend time in Vancouver, or there's some medical reason you cannot be on a plane for more than 9 hours.
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like three votes for flying direct. Interesting points to consider, thank you so much for your replies.

I should have been a little more clear in my OP- since this will be a so-called "mini" rtw, the only really long leg will be Tokyo to Toronto. And I won't be limited to Air Canada- my other option, depending on availability, would be All Nippon Airlines (NH) (United and Asiana are out, because I don't want the hassle of transferring through the US).

I know all about avoiding the dreaded Air Canada Rouge- thankfully those flights are clearly marked on the Aeroplan site. And good reminder about the importance of the aircraft and the seating.

I don't think AC NRT-YYZ direct is available in the winter months I'm planning for, it would be NRT-YVR-YYZ.

AC HND-YYZ would be a 77W 10 across in economy. NH HND-YVR would be a 787 with 9 across, with the same width and pitch as the AC flight. I'd be allowed up to 23 hours layover in YVR before flying to YYZ.

Lots to think about. Thanks again.
Old Oct 11th, 2016, 04:01 AM

Let's be clear: I do not "dread" Air Canada Rouge. My suggestion was simply to understand the differences with regular Air Canada service -- which, in my recent experience, are fairly inconsequential. In-flight entertainment depends on carrying your own tablet, or renting one. Food was typical of economy fare, except no free alcohol. Young staff were very attentive and a free upgrade to a roomier seat didn't hurt.