Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Flying through Hong Kong in 3 weeks (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/flying-through-hong-kong-in-3-weeks-1670594/)

pirouette Aug 12th, 2019 01:07 PM

Flying through Hong Kong in 3 weeks

We are flying on points to Africa, connecting through Hong Kong and I have to admit that I am a little concerned. The Hong Kong airport was shut down today. We have great business class flights arranged and there is little availability for alternative routing. We could fly through Europe but it is economy with two connections as opposed to one. Is anyone else in this situation and what if anything are you doing about it?

P_M Aug 12th, 2019 01:12 PM

Did you get this information from the airline or is this what you found on your own? I would call the airline and find our what's available. Sometimes they will make exceptions in situations like this.

janisj Aug 12th, 2019 04:12 PM

pirouette: There are a lot of other people facing the same situation re the HK unrest. Who knows what will happen -- and IF the mainland govt does crack down even more there could be other problems all the way up to Martial Law or worse. I'd get on the phone to the frequent flyer dept of which ever airline you are flying and talk about all your options and what happens if you keep the current flights and the airport is closed or damaged or ???

doug_stallings Aug 13th, 2019 06:03 AM

You don't say which airline you are using, but I'm assuming if it's through HKG it's more than likely Cathay. If you are using miles, see about availability on Qatar Airways, which has a really wonderful business-class cabin and is also in the OneWorld alliance (assuming again you're on Cathay Pacific) with many African destinations. That would be your best bet. If you can make the change for little or no cost, I'd do it now. The longer you wait, the more likely you will find that there is no availability. Also, you have insurance I presume? Many policies don't cover strikes, but if the airport is actually closed on your dates of travel, I can't believe your insurance wouldn't cover you.

pirouette Aug 14th, 2019 05:45 AM

We are flying Air Canada and then South African Airways, premium economy and business on the South African leg. There is availability through Europe but the flights are all in economy. The Hong Kong airport has re-opened and there is an interim injunction to confine protests to a particular area. The is still unpredictability and the issue is larger than the airport. Trip interruption/cancellation insurance has maximum limits. The flights are on points and can be changed. The balance of the trip is another issue. We just want to get there!

P_M Aug 14th, 2019 07:31 AM

If you got this information from calling the airline and if your #1 priority is just to get there (as mine would be) then I think you should take any rebooking you are offered. It might turn out to be for nothing but then it might save your trip if things get worse in HK. Besides, if you fly coach this time you can use the points you save for another biz class ticket later. IMO it's worth the change for peace of mind but I'm very risk averse when it comes to situations like this. Have a great trip.