Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Flying standby (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/flying-standby-559957/)

trypgyrl Sep 21st, 2005 09:59 AM

Flying standby

I need advice on flying standby. I bought restricted tickets with one connection and now wish I'd booked the earlier flight, as our plans in Philly don't give us much time for sightseeing. I don't want to pay the $100.00 to change. How possible is it to get to airport early and just fly standby on earlier flight, without more $?

Patty Sep 21st, 2005 11:32 AM

Which airline?

KT Sep 21st, 2005 11:35 AM

This depends partly upon your ticket. Depending upon the airline and type of ticket, you may not be allowed to fly standby at all. I'd recommend calling the airline to find about the restrictions on your fare class.

trypgyrl Sep 21st, 2005 12:45 PM

American airlines

A_Traveller Sep 21st, 2005 01:21 PM

There are too many variables (day of week, time of day, class of ticket, number of flights, whether or not you have elite FF status, etc.) to give you a definitive answer. I've gotten to the airport early (flying on AA) and have been givin the choice to fly out on an earlier flight (with no added fee) or keep the same flight, so it is possible. But then again, that was about a year or so ago and I have "million mile" Platinum status.

The first problem you might encounter is the availability of seats on the earlier flight and wheter or not they are released for non-revenue passengers. If none are available you'd be stuck sitting in the airport waitng for your original flight. If seats are available they airline may or may not want an extra fee to change your restricted ticket.

I'm sure you are aware that most airlines are hurting financially and more often than not they are now charging fees for the same perks that were "given away for free" no too long ago. The best advice anyone can give you is to call the airline directly and ask - but you may not get the answer you want.

gail Sep 21st, 2005 02:09 PM

My husband does just what you suggest - just show up and see if they can put you on an earlier flight - at least once/month on various airlines. Almost always his request is granted with no fee. Some tickets have been full fare, some deep discount. He has one level up FF status on several airlines - but has has request granted on those he does not have this status on.

If you don't mind waiting around the airport if it doesn't work, then go for it.

trypgyrl Sep 21st, 2005 02:16 PM

Thanks for your help on this. I am not a FF, this is why I don't know much about this, especially since things are changing in the airline industry. I just bought a nonrefundable ticket and just want the earlier flight. I did talk with AA and found out about the $100. fee per ticket (2 tickets bought) and said I didn't want to pay more and asked if flying standby was an option and she said yes, but did not alude to any $ attached to it.
Thanks

trypgyrl Sep 21st, 2005 02:18 PM

P.S. flying on a Monday morning, and now want the first flight out at both Kalamazoo and Chicago to Philly.

gail Sep 21st, 2005 02:47 PM

Remember that seat availability may be an issue - most flights I have been on recently are packed. I would guess a first flight of the day might be more than packed.