Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Flying into CDG--can I catch a glimpse of Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2008, 03:14 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Later this year I will have a layover at CDG. Last year I did the same and I never was able to see Paris as I flew in or out. I sat on the left side of the plane both ways thinking if I miss it coming in, maybe I'll see it going out. But no luck.

Is it possible to see Paris as you arrive or depart from CDG? I'm beginning to wonder if Paris is really there.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM

We just flew out of CDG on Monday morning and sat on the right side of the plane (looking towards the cockpit) and had a beautiful view of all of Paris. Going in, we didn't see anything sitting on the left side.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 02:30 PM

On both occasions when we flew in to CDG it was so foggy we couldn't see a thing.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 03:26 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks for these replies. Whenever I've flown in or out of CDG it was either foggy or I was on the wrong side of the plane. (or both)

mollmatt, in which direction were you flying when you saw Paris? Were you flying toward North America or toward Eastern Europe?
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 07:42 AM

Switching sides of the plane is oversimplifying things a bit. If the plane is coming in for landing from the west (Assuming a North American flight) the odds of seeing anything in Paris are slim to begin with. However, takeoff's in this direction generally can be good. The problem is if you are flying back to North America, the plane is going to bank away from Paris fairly quickly.

If you are landing coming in from the east there is a slight chance of seeing something on the approach, minimal to no chance on takeoff as you are flying away from Paris and will immediately bank further away.

There are a number of other factors like the typical Paris visibility that limit the visuals.

For good views of Paris you almost need to be on a flight that departs to the South or Southeast. The best views I have had were on an alitalia flight from CDG to FCO. We overflew Le Bourget and circled around La Défense with all of Paris visible.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 07:56 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Interesting MrNuke. I'll be flying from Houston into Paris and continuing on to Istanbul, then returning the same route. Do you think I'll have a chance on the Istanbul flights? Can you suggest which side of the plane to sit in either direction? I know visibility is a factor, but maybe I'll get lucky this time. Thanks.
Old Jun 13th, 2008, 03:36 PM

I do think you will have a chance. I would suggust a left side seat for the Paris to Istanbul flight and a right side seat for the Istanbul to Paris flight. This is banking on a 26L, 26R, 27L or 27R departure, and a 8L, 8R, 9L, or 9R landing. Obviously if the wind is coming from the opposite direction then you are out of luck. That being said left side to Istanbul right side back to Paris are your best bets.
Old Jun 14th, 2008, 07:03 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Good info, thanks very much.