Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Flying Continental to Turkey. Buy upgrade? Lufthnsa vs Swiss on last leg?

Jun 17th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

I am shopping for tickets to fly from Honolulu to Istanbul in September. Economy seats are $1395 at the moment.

I have Platinum status with CO, and have been upgraded on just about every flight this year. That said, I'll be flying with my no-status husband, and I'm wondering if international flights have as many status upgrades. I have lots of miles, but still working on "earning" this year, so want to pay for the economy seats. Should I upgrade with miles or are the odds good for a free one? I love flying up front (who doesn't?) but it wouldn't ruin or trip to fly economy.

Also, which would you choose for the last leg:
Swiss Air from Zurich, or
Lufthansa out of Munich?
Jun 17th, 2010, 08:43 PM

as the saying goes, if you want to guarantee biz or first, pay or use miles. No one here knows what the odds will be for any giver flight - weather, etc can affect how many "op-up"s are given to top tier flyers.
Jun 17th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

Maybe my question should have been, are these European flights so often full of high flyers that upgrades only rarely happen? Not looking for guarantees. Just wondering about the normal odds.

And continental just threw in a third airline for the Europe-Istanbul leg; Turkish Airlines.
Jun 18th, 2010, 02:48 AM

There's no significant difference between LH and LX quality and service in econ, and both Munich and Zurich airports are easy to navigate. I'd go with whichever one offers the more favorable schedule.
Jun 18th, 2010, 03:08 AM

We took the Lufthansa flight from Munich to Istanbul a couple months ago, and it was fine--on time, no major complaints, consistent with many other LH intra-European flights I've taken. We took Turkish on the way back, from Istanbul to Frankfurt--seat was a bit more comfortable (if you can call an economy seat comfortable), better food and better service overall. That was one of three Turkish flights we took over a week, and I was favorably impressed (with the on-board service, anyway).

I haven't connected as much in Zurich, but I like Munich and will usually choose it for connections where possible.

Enjoy Turkey. We had a great time!
Jun 18th, 2010, 08:32 AM

I too have enjoyed flying Turkish a few times over the last several years, London to Istanbul, Istanbul to Tehran, Istanbul to Moscow, etc. Pleasant cabin crew, good service and food, etc.
Jun 18th, 2010, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!
Jun 18th, 2010, 11:02 AM

the difference in the two scenarios is, CO automatically upgrades its elites when there is space available on its domestic flights.. going overseas is a different animal - not quite as many free upgrades unless the flight is truly jammed and in that case they may just offer free tickets to pax who take another flight.
Jun 18th, 2010, 12:43 PM

Should I upgrade with miles or are the odds good for a free one?

The odds of a free upgrade are pretty much zero. If you want to upgrade, go the mileage route. Note that the co-pays can be steep, so price it all out.

Swiss Air from Zurich, or
Lufthansa out of Munich?

Six one-way, half-dozen the other. Both airlines will be similar and both airports are okay.
Jun 19th, 2010, 10:39 AM

i've not flown swiss, but i did fly bc on lufthansa, munich to chicago, or was it san fran. anyway, i thought i was on ua. service was not that much better.
Jun 19th, 2010, 07:10 PM

There are no elite upgrades in international BusinessFirst markets. There is a remote chance of an op-up where the coach section is oversold and they bump you to BF, but that is rare.
On a flight that long, I would upgrade if at all possible - you will pay miles plus a service fee which is determined by the fare class of the ticket you purchase. If you have not already purchased your ticket, play around with the different fare classes to compare the total cost with fees.
Jun 20th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

I can upgrade to first/ BF for $500+ 20,000 each way, so looks like thats the way to go. Only one of the flights has the pod seats though. hmmm. So many decisions and I haven't even started looking at itinerary, much less hotels!
Jun 20th, 2010, 06:55 PM

Just to make your planing more complex - since you are still working on earning for this year, consider that Y or B coach fares have zero fee to upgrade with miles, and earn miles at 150%. All other coach fares still earn only at 100% even if you actually ride up front by upgrading with miles plus fee. On the CO site you can search by specific fare class (but as a Plat you probably already know that.)
Or maybe you will be lucky and there will be a BF fare sale for your dates!