Flying 45 lb dog SFO to BOS

Jun 1st, 2011, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Flying 45 lb dog SFO to BOS

Hoping someone can offer me some advice - we've always flown our 45 lb dog as cargo with AA - a direct flight from SFO to BOS - until this year. The best they do now is a stop over in TX, which will result in my dog being in the crate a minimum of 9 hours, which is just too long. Any advice? I'm not willing to lie to get her into the cabin (karma scares me), and she's always done great in cargo (no drugs). Most airlines only take small in-cabin dogs in carriers, which won't work given her size.

Thanks so much in advance!
Jun 1st, 2011, 06:33 PM

Virgin America, Jetblue and United still fly SFO-BOS non-stop. UA certainly can ship larger pets as cargo.
Jun 2nd, 2011, 02:25 PM

I agree with rkkwan ... choose another airline. Your pet doesn't necessarily have to fly the same airline that you do as long as you have someone who can pick her up in Boston in case your flights aren't in sync.
Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:25 PM

Most airlines will NOT fly a dog in cargo during the summer unless the flight is non-stop. Get a flight that leaves first thing in the morning so the temps will be cooler.

We had to do this flying from JFK to DEN in July with our Golden Retriever. We actually flew on 3 flights: son the day before, the dog first flight out the next day [son was there to meet the dog] and then I came in on the next flight [on a different airline due to using FF]. People flew United, the dog flew AA I think.
Jun 3rd, 2011, 10:10 AM

Have you checked out Pet Airways?

http://petairways.com/

I haven't used them but have heard good things
Jun 4th, 2011, 07:19 PM

No problem, just use Delta.

I've flown more dogs than I can remember (doing rescue). 99% have flown with Delta, and not had a single problem yet. I did a quick flight check just using a random date, and there are several flights with short layovers.

However as someone else stated, flying during the summer has it restrictions. If the ground temps are projected to be over the limit, it's a no go.
Jun 5th, 2011, 07:34 PM

Short layover is still a layover, and the chance of misconnect and delays increase significantly. Definitely go with an airline with non-stop flight!
Jun 5th, 2011, 08:01 PM

temps on a tarmac can reach dangerously high levels and no pet should have to be stuck in the belly of a plane on a tarmac. Non-stop or don't ship them. Seriously.

Search this Thread