Search

Flights to India

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2019, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flights to India

Any thoughts on best flights to India from among KLM (from Amsterdam), Air France (from Paris) or Jet Airways (from Amsterdam or London). We would be in first/business class connecting from a Delta flight from Minneapolis. Likely to/from New Delhi but might be to/from Mumbai. Any particular reasons for quality of airline service or most efficient connections or any other factors?
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 11:45 AM

https://www.airlinequality.com/

When researching anything related to planes, seats, lounges, food etc, this site has a wealth of information.
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 04:23 PM
J62

Any particular reason you're flying to Europe first vs flying non-stop from the US or Canada? eg, JFK/EWR or Toronto
My own preference would be a relatively short domestic flight followed one very long haul instead of 2 long hauls.
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the thoughts back. Would love to have connection only in North America for the long haul, but we will be using Delta FF miles and so are limited to their partners. Only Air India, United and Air Canada appear to have non stop flights from North America. None of them are Delta partners. Of course "free" trip is great even if means a bit of inconvenience. Just wondering if one or another would be a better choice for comfort or service.
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 05:26 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Looking at reviews and pictures of KLM's and Jet's business class cabins, I'd probably be inclined to go with Delta + KLM via Amsterdam, making sure you're on a KLM-operated flight out of AMS rather than on Jet. (You'd be on Delta metal out of MSP in either case.) The reason is that on most routes to India from western Europe (AMS, CDG, LHR) Jet uses 777s, while KLM uses 787s. The seats in Jet's business ("Premier") class angle away from the windows, while the KLM seats angle toward them. In my experience with the angle-away configuration, if you like to look outside (and why not on such a long flight?) your neck will be sore pronto. I know that sounds like a quibble, but - to me - it would make a difference.

The big difference, however, is that the 787s are able to maintain a higher cabin air pressure, which on a long flight can make a big difference in terms of fatigue and comfort. You arrive less dried out, food tastes better, and with the 787s bigger windows, light in the cabin is improved. If you're flying back-to-back flights, it's a helluva long time to be in a tube, so I'd do whatever I could to make it as pleasant as possible. You'll also get one of KLM's cool little Delft houses, too.

I couldn't find any flights between Paris and DEL/BOM operated by Air France; just Jet codeshares. Maybe those exist but I couldn't find them. At any rate I'd pick a transfer at AMS anyway.
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 05:52 AM

I flew Delta from Boston + KLM via Amsterdam twice and cannot think of a better flight. I had my own seat with full bed of course, food was surprisingly good and wine was superb. KLM service was impeccable.

Personally, I prefer a layover in Europe when I use my time to shop and have great coffee.

I have four of those cool little Delft houses - they are very cute. 😊
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 07:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
To add to Gardyloo's excellent info . . . I would do almost anything to avoid connecting through CDG. AMS is much easier IMO.
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 08:00 AM

Check Emirates - sometimes they will surprise you with an unexpectedly lower fare than other airlines, and they are definitely nicer to fly. The layover will be in Dubai - amazing airport - and then my second flight was on to Delhi, but there are other cities in India they fly to as well.
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 08:13 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by scdreamer
Check Emirates - sometimes they will surprise you with an unexpectedly lower fare than other airlines, and they are definitely nicer to fly. The layover will be in Dubai - amazing airport - and then my second flight was on to Delhi, but there are other cities in India they fly to as well.
They're using FF miles.

Originally Posted by laurie_ann
Thanks for the thoughts back. Would love to have connection only in North America for the long haul, but we will be using Delta FF miles and so are limited to their partners.
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 01:15 PM

Sorry - didn't notice the FF requirement.
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the thoughts. I always like when people report back. It turned out I had enough American miles to use that for one way tickets out. Booked AA/Qatar which should be good. So two short flights and one long flight. And it was better than other combinations with other American partners where a "business" class award left you with one of segments actually in coach. That's fine for the internal US flight to get you to an international gateway. But not for the US/Europe segment. Will have to see when further days open up in the calendar what we are able to book for return on Delta partners.
Old Apr 11th, 2019, 10:39 PM

Not great news for Jet Airways.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47905089

Old Apr 12th, 2019, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Yes I just saw they suspended all international flights. Will have to make a new plan for the return. Was just about to book a flight returning from Mumbai through London to the US.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Was able to book today return from Mumbai, business/first only one stop! BOM-AMS is on KLM. From there is Delta. On Delta website the flights seem to be available 331 days ahead. Now onto the planning of specific itinerary.
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 06:30 AM

Yess 331 days ahead is standard I think. Same for United which is our plan.
Glad you got a nice return. May I ask how many miles this one way required so i can compare to United?
A standard award on biz from India would be 180k but a saver award on biz in 85 k. If you can predict far in advance you can grab a biz though these days seems fewer selections available on UA.
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Delta miles awards appear to have been inflated recently. I got the American/Qatar flights (first and business) out for only 70k each from AA miles. But the KLM/Delta flights (business and first) back were 135k each from Delta miles. I had watched both for a long time not just for my dates but other dates of the year and while I did sometimes see some flights on Delta for only 90k each those were ever only for at least one Jet Airways segment and that is not possible anymore. Both airlines let you look at at wide calendar for any given flights so you can see with you think but that seemed the best I could expect.
Old Apr 16th, 2019, 01:44 PM

Hmm. The 70 k award from AA sounds like the saver award from UA but 15 k less. Your Delta award is closer to the standard award from UA for biz to India of 180k one way.
We just got saver awards a few weeks ago for ORD-DEL next Feb. for 340K miles for two RT. Saver awards have gone up a lot too. It used to be around 250K for two biz RT ORD-DEL and they are fewer and available too.
Thank you.