Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page > Flight Change - Shouldn't the airline be responsible?

Flight Change - Shouldn't the airline be responsible?

Aug 13th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Flight Change - Shouldn't the airline be responsible?

Tonight I got a phone call that our return flight for an upcoming trip to Las Vegas has been cancelled and we are rescheduled on a new flight that departs the day prior. We made the reservation over a month ago, at which the same time we booked our hotel room. I haven't called the hotel yet to find out if we can cancel a night w/o charge, but either way: Shouldn't the airline have any accountability for the change in the schedule? I was offered either the earlier flight or canceling the reservation all together (which is not an option). Seems ridiculous to me.

Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this?

Thanks in advance
Aug 14th, 2008, 03:17 AM

See my message on this board with title "Schedule changes disrupt vacation". As I did, I would call the airline after researching options using that airline's schedule as well as other airlines in partnership with them. What airline is it?
Aug 14th, 2008, 04:43 AM
J62

Airlines do not guarantee schedules. That is plain and simple. You have several choices.

1. accept the change they offer you

2. accept a total refund and rebook on another carrier.

3. rebook you on an alternate flight you prefer. That's where you need to do your homework to find out what your options are, which may include connecting through one of their hubs. Do some research on their website and give them a call.
Aug 14th, 2008, 06:04 AM

I responded to cindi's other post and agree with the advice you've been given. We've been through this twice so far. I would just emphasis the advice on doing your homework before you call. Have specific schedules and airlines you can provide. Sometimes the rep doesn't have, or won't give you, all the options so educate yourself first.
Aug 14th, 2008, 06:17 AM

The airline is putting you on the flight that is most convenient to them (ie the on that costs them the least) and is hoping you'll accept it without argument.

So do your research and go back to them with the flights YOU want to take instead
Aug 15th, 2008, 09:36 PM

I have had several business trips interrupted recently with changes. With all the cutbacks due to high fuel prices, many airlines have discontinued or cut back on flights to certain destinations. Like alanRow said....do your homework, and find something that works for you....then ask them to change it. You are not obligated to accept what they offer in the way of a new flight.
Aug 16th, 2008, 09:10 AM

Yes, it does seem crazy, but it is legal (at least for now) and they have the option of just refunding your payment and saying buh-bye for now.
Analogy: If I sold you a washing machine but delivered a freezer you could refuse delivery and not be obligated to pay for the freezer or delivery charges for the freezer. If I had depleted my inventory of the particular model you wanted I could offer you a replacement of approximately equal value, or just say "sorry - here's your money back." If I do the latter often enough word would get around and people would stop buying anything from me because I would have a bad reputation, and potential buyers would buy from my competitors who don't have a history of doing this instead of buying from me. Difference with airlines is that they ALL do this.
Aug 18th, 2008, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. I figured out which flight works best for us and was able to work it out with the airline. All is well (even though it's still stupid that they can do that to people...).

Thanks!

Search this Thread