Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Flight change in Dusseldorf - Only 50 minutes! (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/flight-change-in-dusseldorf-only-50-minutes-971114/)

kenav Mar 19th, 2013 01:34 PM

Flight change in Dusseldorf - Only 50 minutes!

We have a flight from Nice to JFK with a change in Dusseldorf. All flights are via Air Berlin. Unfortunately the connecting time is only 50 minutes. Will that be OK?

Also, do we have to go through customs in Dusseldorf and get our luggage and then check in again, or just go through customs and run to our connecting flight without needing to get the luggage? (Air Berlin would just put it through to the next flight?)

suze Mar 19th, 2013 03:45 PM

I'm no expert, but you can't ever go thru "customs" without your luggage. That's kinda the whole idea ;-)

Patty Mar 19th, 2013 04:05 PM

Luggage will be through checked but you'll need to go through passport control to exit Schengen. It's been ages since I've gone through DUS but it's not a huge airport.

kenav Mar 19th, 2013 04:47 PM

Yes, I thought that we wouldn't have to get our luggage. I remember a few years ago going from Krakow, Poland to JFK and needing to change planes in Vienna. The luggage was sent through directly and we didn't have to first pick it up and carry it through customs in Vienna.

Still wondering about the time for the transfer, though.

Smeagol Mar 20th, 2013 12:58 PM

Did you book on one ticket? I would think if it is it " should" be ok but if it were me ( and I know it isn't) I would call Air Berlin.

kenav Mar 20th, 2013 02:06 PM

Hi Smeagol -

I did book on one ticket. I just called Air Berlin and of course the customer service woman said it would be OK. "Just need 35 minutes to change and you have 50". I will already have my boarding pass from when I check in in Nice and no, I don't have to get my luggage. But the "woman" never mentioned going through customs. I'm guessing that could take some time.

On our outgoing leg JFK to Nice we also have to change planes in DUsseldorf. The choice for the layover was either 50 minutes, once agin, or 5 hours. I chose (tentatively - can change it) the 5 hours. Although that's a lot, I worry about missing the connecting flight on our way to our vacation. Planes leave late from JFK all the time.

Smeagol Mar 21st, 2013 09:55 AM

If though they gave you the option and say you took the 50 minutes one and they got you there late then ( assuming they had space) wouldn't they have to put you on the next flight anyway? ( you won't have to clear customs I think you can do that in Nice cant you??)
Why do you have the clear customs? The flight to Nice via dusseldorf is a connecting flight and you are transferring to another European country?

Patty Mar 21st, 2013 11:09 AM

The OP will clear passport control, not customs, in DUS because that's the point where the OP exits Schengen.

kenav Mar 23rd, 2013 09:31 AM

I booked the 1 hour and 10 minutes for change in Dusseldorf (from JFK) to go to Nice. As I would be entering a foreign (for me) country, would I not have to go through customs?

I also booked the 50 minute lay over itinerary for going home - Nice to Dusseldorf and then to JFK. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Patty Mar 23rd, 2013 10:08 AM

Passport control is for your person whereas customs is for your things. Since your bags will be through checked to Nice, that's where you'll go through customs which is pretty much a non-event. You'll go through passport control in DUS as that's your first point of entry into Schengen.