Flight Cancelled - Free Hotel?

Jul 29th, 2009, 05:43 PM
Original Poster

Flight Cancelled - Free Hotel?

Delta cancelled my flight from ATL to SNA and re-booked me on a flight that leaves before my connecting flight arrives in ATL. The next flight out (after I actually arrive in ATL) isn't until the next morning. Is there any chance that Delta should pay for my hotel room in ATL that night?
Jul 29th, 2009, 07:05 PM

I'd call the airline and have them re-book you again. They shouldn't charge you for that.
Jul 29th, 2009, 10:21 PM

Delta has rebooked you on a flight that convenient for them - check what other options are better for you then contact Delta
Jul 30th, 2009, 10:08 AM

Where are you originating and when are you traveling?
Jul 30th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi All!

I just want to be prepared when I call to re-book the flight. Delta has done this to me before.

The flight in question is the last leg of a trip back from Venice. Once I land in ATL (Nov 21) I'll have to spend the night because the next flight out to SNA (Orange County, CA) isn't until the next morning. Originally I was on flight #1765, which has now been eliminated from Delta's flight schedule on that date. The flight they have booked me on is #1321, which leaves at 6:55pm. But my flight from JFK doesn't arrive until 7:50pm. I know they'll put me on the flight the next morning for no additional charge, but I was hoping that there is some way to have them pay for my hotel room that night. Any suggestions?
Jul 30th, 2009, 11:20 AM

Can you return to LAX from JFK? I would rather do that than take the extra connection to SNA.
Jul 30th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Patty - Yes, I could ask them to put me on the flight from JFK to LAX, but my hubby absolutely hates to drive up to LAX. It's quite a drive from our home and traffic is usually horrible. The Orange County airport is less than 30 minutes from home and an easy drive. I'm trying to convince him that it could be a good option for me this time. Also looking into a shuttle service from LAX - might cost the same or less than a hotel room. Hmmm...wonder if Delta would pay for that?

Just trying to line up all my options before calling to be re-booked.
Jul 30th, 2009, 02:21 PM

SCFoodie -

It looks to me that you can't get to SNA the same day if you take the Venice-JFK flight. You could certainly ask DL to pay for the overnight hotel, but I wouldn't expect them to be especially accommodating.

However, you could make it back to Orange County -- and at a decent hour -- if you took a different routing on DL. You could take a 7am Delta/Air France flight (operated by AF, but DL code share) from Venice to Paris, then Delta flights from Paris to Salt Lake, the SLC to SNA. You'd arrive in SNA before 4pm.

Not sure I'd be thrilled about a 7am flight from VCE, but none of your other choices seem that great, either.
Jul 30th, 2009, 02:39 PM

You are making advance reservations, and want Delta to pay for your hotel only because they've moved you to another day? Not a chance! You can ask them to re-schedule your flight as convenient for you, or get a full refund.
Jul 31st, 2009, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

rizzuto - yeah, the 7am flight out of Venice just doesn't work for me! I am travelling with one of my sisters and she is on the 11:40am flight.

Dayenu - the ticket was paid for several months ago. I discovered the change in the itinerary a couple of days ago by chance. Still haven't received a notice from Delta, but that is typical. Per Delta, their policy is to notify passengers about this kind of thing about 30 days prior to the flight. Since Delta chose to change my itinerary and put me on a flight that leaves ATL before my connecting flight arrives there, coupled with the fact that the next flight to my destination doesn't leave until the next morning, I was just hoping that Delta would pick up the cost of a hotel room in ATL.

Still searching out all my options before I call Delta and request that they put me on a flight that doesn't leave until after I am scheduled to arrive in ATL.
Jul 31st, 2009, 03:09 PM

Sounds like all of this is booked on a single ticket so you do have some room to negotiate. If there just isn't a flight to SNA that will work from JFK you can ask to reroute the whole trip, maybe for both you and your sister. If you have to have a one day layover, how about Paris?
If you hold elite status with DL that usually increases your chances.
Aug 1st, 2009, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi Seamus, Yes it's all booked on one ticket. A day in Paris sounds like so much fun! Wonder if my sister would hate me for doing that - she, unfortunately, doesn't have the luxury of spending another day on vacation so has to return on the original day. From JFK she is also booked into ATL, but her connecting flight to JAX hasn't been changed.

Another option would be to spend another night in Venice (again without my sister), since the original connecting flight from ATL to SNA does fly the next day (Delta only eliminated the flight on 3 days of the week, not every day) - and just my luck one of those days is when I am travelling.
Aug 5th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to let you know that Delta changed my return when I requested it. On the downside, I have to fly into San Diego. On the upside, I fly non-stop from JFK to SAN. Still bummed that I can't fly into SNA that day, but at least I'll get to an airport that's only about an hour and 10 minutes away from home. So no hotel stay will be necessary. And I get to experience a new airport (never flown in or out of SAN before.) Thanks again for your suggestions!