Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Flight attendants to instruct us in safety procedures for acts of terrorism

Jan 13th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Ok, it use to be that the big danger in flying was crashing and loss of cabin pressure. But now it is far more likely that a person will become unruly or some radical will try to ignite his shoes or underwear.

I am ready to dispense with instructions on how to buckle my seatbelt. I want the flight attendents to tell me in no uncertain terms what they want us to do if something like that happens. Tell us the game plan before we take off so that we all are on the same page and hopefully take coordinated action.
Jan 13th, 2010, 10:12 PM

There are still a lot more crashes than terrorist acts. And most "unruly" passengers only exist in the minds of the cabin crew
Jan 14th, 2010, 10:28 AM

Alanrow-"unruly passengers are only in the minds of the cabin crew". What are you smoking? Or are you only in first class and never see what else is going on in the various cabins for 12-17 hours? Walk in my shoes occasionally,please?
Jan 14th, 2010, 11:18 AM

Perhaps it's the airlines you fly. In 20 years of flying I've had one occasion when an "unruly" passenger had to be dealt with - he had been smoking in the loo.
Jan 14th, 2010, 12:02 PM

I guess if the flight attendants tell you want to do "the baddie" hears it to and knows exactly what you will do and can thus change HIS plan accordingly!
Jan 14th, 2010, 10:13 PM

Used to be that the big danger of flying was hijackings: 364 worldwide from 1968 to 1972. http://tinyurl.com/ygtthga
Jan 14th, 2010, 10:45 PM

mrwunrfl.... being hijacked was once the fear but at least you knew there was a good chance to get to the other end. Now "baddies" have a bigger agenda.
Jan 15th, 2010, 06:19 PM

Trust me all when I say that our security alerts and procedures change daily!
Jan 16th, 2010, 07:10 PM

Actually, accidents are still many times more likely than terrorist attacks, so discussing terrorists is a waste of time during a flight, whereas discussing safety procedures is essential.

In any case, there is no "game plan" for passengers. Terrorists and "unruly" passengers are not attacked by a mob of vigilantes on board the aircraft.

Remember that novels and movies are fiction, not reality. Things don't work the same way in real life, and lynch mobs do more harm than good.