Reload this Page >

Which Airline has the best First Class?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 1999, 05:22 PM
Ryan

Hi there. I recently booked a trip to Puerto Vallarta for next March flying American Airlines first class. It was not too expensive and I have flown their first class before. <BR> <BR>Has anyone else flown first class on several different carriers that can compare/rate them? For the amount of money I did pay I'd like to ensure a comfortable ride. <BR> <BR>Oh...I've heard that American has redone their aircraft interiors. Is this true? <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>Ryan <BR>

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 08:04 PM
julie

Well, we think BA has the best, but the freight is over $9,000 from here to London. We only do this when flying for the company. Now, the compensation is, the seats in coach are the closest together of any we have endured, and that makes flying to London coach very painful. Such a trade-off.

Old Dec 29th, 1999, 08:20 PM
julie

P.S. Most of the domestic first class experiences we have had (with many different airlines) are pretty much the same. I like the seat to recline and support my feet. That is important. Of course, free booze, snacks, etc., and a better toilet go with the territory. Supposedly, your luggage is supposed to come off the airplane first, so you can get it first, but we have found that this is often not the case. It comes off rather randomly. P&gt;S&gt; Sat in a first class seat from D.C. to here once, next to a very well know celebrity. He was so obnoxious, that I almost got up and moved to the back with the nice

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 07:48 PM
Julie

First class on BA is an experience..from here to London, which is 9-10 hours. The seats can be adjusted in to a bed, which the steward supplies with sleeping sheets, and a pair of wondeful cotton pajamas. Lovely snack, drinks, any meal you like at any time, etc., and a very pleasant choice of movies, music, and feeling of space and comfort abound. Trade off is that in coach, everyone is crammed in as tight as humans can be crammed. I have traveled both. And evidentally, the management has no authority to ask anyone to comply with any rules of human decency (window blinds, putting seat backs up, etc.) So it is what you pay for is what you get. There is a huge difference too--$9,000 to London first class, and an economy seat in winter, special rate, can be had for $400 approx. There you have it..the haves and the haves not. Guess we should stop griping.

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 04:36 PM
John

I think BA definitely wins on the Europe route. Of all the domestic first class cabins, I think Delta and American have the best. I recently flew continental and except for the seat, I felt like I was in coach. The stewardess was rude and they served us a cold sandwich. Not much for service! Delta has the roomiest seats, I think. I often try to book first on a plane that is continuing on a long haul flight and has three classes of service. Generally, the room and service in first is the best on those flights.

Old Apr 23rd, 2000, 09:07 AM
Diane

Of course, those of us back in coach only got a bag of pretzels from our surly flight crew. &lt;vbg&gt; Actually, My boss upgraded me to first class coming back to Baltimore from Houston recently. The (Continental) flight was about 3 hours delayed, so everyone's nerves were heightened. I must compliment the flight crew for being just wonderful (they'd been subject to the same wait), and while the food wasn't particularly good, the extra space and comfort was certainly welcome. Also, Continental gave everyone those coupons for free drinks/headsets, $$ off on future flights, etc.

Old May 16th, 2000, 01:43 PM
julie

Hands down, Virgin Air has the best first class (called "upper class")--massages, manicures, handheld personal video movie screens (can choose from a myriad of movies), pajamas and many more perks while in flight (at least for transatlantic). The Virgin lounge in Heathrow is to die for--very hip, colorful, has a listening room (with Virgin label CDs), huge fun bar. Plus all around fantastic service. Too bad there are so few women's restrooms in the lounge or otherwise I'd say it was Nirvana.

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 01:53 PM
MaryMary

I came up with an idea and I wonder what you guys think of it. I fly with my husband and get those cheapie tickets. Couldn't I just buy 3 tickets for the two of us and use the extra space of the empty seat by lifting up the arm rests? Airline seats are find for the first hour but after that they are painfully cramped for 5-10 hour flights. <BR>

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 11:49 AM
anne

I have not done the 3 ticket purchase-but I had read about it in a travel magazine. The article did suggest that when you are checking in to make sure you notify the agent you paid for this ticket!

Old Oct 21st, 2000, 05:53 AM
David

My vote goes to Singapore Airlines. Great food and service, sleeper seats, inflight entertainment. If you want to be pampered, SQ is hard to beat.

Old Oct 26th, 2000, 06:00 PM
sandy

Wealthy friends tell me that Lufthansa's First Class is wonderful. The seats make into beds, and the food and service are excellent.

Old Oct 27th, 2000, 05:41 PM
Sheli

Well...if you fly domestically I think Midwest Express is excellent for those who usually fly coach. For Asian and South East Asian flights I prefer Cathay Pacific...their first class is OUTSTANDING.

Old Apr 14th, 2001, 09:18 PM
richardab

My vote goes to; <BR> <BR>Air France for the food and wine and French style <BR> <BR>and <BR> <BR>United Airlines for those great sleeper seats and service. <BR> <BR>My booby prize goes to; <BR> <BR>Virgin Atlantic - Their interiors are from an Austin Powers movie, the service is too casual (for $8000 I want to be servred continuously) and the food on my flight was Doritos with a cocktail followed by a Tex-mex nightmare. Yuk.

Old May 1st, 2001, 03:55 PM
Alexis

1st Class in US Air: It was nice, seats extremely comfy. Flight attendants were very gracious and Johnny-on-the-spot with those drinks! LOL The food wasn't as good as I would have expected though. I'm not sure, but I think it was the same meal as coach. The other perk: There were severe storms that day that were causing massive delays and cancellations all over and I got the feeling that the reservation agents were giving us extra good treatment since we were holding 1st class tickets. <BR> <BR>1st Class on America West: Rude flight attendant kept giving me dirty looks from the minute I sat down. For the life of me, I couldn't figure out how I'd managed to piss her off in the short time it took to get from the jetway to my seat. It wasn't my imagination either because my husband noticed it too. Still haven't figured that one out! LOL

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 08:10 AM
james

BA - no question. No other airline gets close to BA's first class. In fact, most airlines first class would struggle to compete with BA's new business class.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Frank

Flew United Chicago - Frankfurt, it was fabulous!