Swiss Airlines fare sale...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2009, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...SFO to Milan, $777 for travel in June. $752 to Zurich for dates in June.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 05:34 AM

One thing that may be of interest to some of you out there is that these fares don't look to accrue mileage in any of the US-based frequent flier programs. They do give you 50% credit in the Lufthansa program, though.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 06:27 AM

San Francisco service is a new service just offered by Swiss. I flew them last week and they were great from Miami. Even in economy, I had four free drinks from the bar going and returning. Video on Demand system worked great with a lot of choices. Zurich Airport is an easy connection.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 10:39 AM

I checked to Copenhagen for August, $1500
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 11:10 AM

I have not had a problem collecting my Swiss miles for the Star Alliance program on UA, my preferred airline. I'm in Zurich right now, flying again on Swiss on Wednesday. Altho I have not yet seen my miles appear in my FF acct for ORD-ZRH, I expect to get them. I always have in the past. I often have to apply for missing mnileage for Swiss flights from ORD to ZRH. the ZRH to ORD portion usually posts fairly quickly... don't know why the trip over takes so long to show up...
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 11:36 AM

<i>I have not had a problem collecting my Swiss miles for the Star Alliance program on UA, my preferred airline.</i>

These fares book into P class. This fare class is explicitly mentioned as not being eligible for mileage credit on united.com. Check out the chart, here:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,51397,00.html

You might get lucky and get some miles to credit for this, but there is nothing ambiguous about the United rules, so any earning would be unintentional. I wouldn't expect these fares to earn anything with United.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 02:44 AM

Just wanted to jump in and say how much I enjoyed my ZRH-ORD flight this past week. I was in business class on this one, and it was delightful. The food was awesome! I opted for the quickie meal (for going to sleep ASAP after takeoff) that is just starter, cheese plate, dessert, bread, and beverages. There was a cauliflour mousse on the starter plate that was really yummy. The Toblerone chocolate mousse dessert was soooo good, I asked for (and was given) seconds!!

At the end of the flight, I was given a box of Swiss chocolates, for being a gold star alliance card holder, and a good Swiss customer. Nice touch. (I think they had extra boxes of chocolate and were looking for f-fliers to give the last few boxes to... lol) Anyway, a good flight.

Now... arriving at ORD in a near blizzard wasn't pleasant... nor was the 3 hour drive home from there!!
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 03:20 AM

On all four of my Swiss flights during Thanksgiving, I was given a Swiss Chocolate in economy--but not a Toblerone chocolate. Thanks to Swiss, I've been at the gym buring off 700 calories each workout this week.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 03:22 AM

During the flight with Swiss, the fasten seatbelt sign would come on and go off, but there was no verbal announcement except before landing. This does make good sleeping.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 04:05 AM

Wally, I agree! Swiss doesn't overdo the announcements. It is better for sleeping.

I know what you mean about the extra calories from Swiss chocolates. I've been sharing my box from biz class, so it won't all go to MY hips... lol

That Toblerone chocolate mousse was absolutely out of this world! It was the creamiest chocolate ever! It had a creamy topping on the top, and two mandarin orange slices in the bottom of the glass. Yum... just thinking about it makes me want another one!

The only thing that could have been better on this last flight would have been a flat bed in biz class. This was an older A330-200 with the old style reclining seats... not quite so good for sleeping. But still enjoyable.

Glad your Swiss flights were also good. DH and I fly on Swiss to and from ZRH twice a year, and usually do them in economy class. But when I'm on my own, on the way home, I like to upgrade! DH got an upgrade from ZRH to BKK!!! What a surprise!!
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 08:19 AM

I've come up with a new strategy. Fly to Europe in Business Class, but fly home in Economy. Why?

In Europe, alcohol can be purchased in the airport after security so I can fill up my empty water bottles for the flight back to the U.S.

In the United States, when you purchase alcohol after you pass security in the duty free area, they bring the purchases to you when you walk on the plane.

Also, when I arrive in Europe, I'm using public transportation. When I arrive back in the U.S., I have to drive.

I had 100,000 miles with BA, so I decided to to fly over to Europe in Business Class twice and fly home in economy. I love BA's flat beds.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 11:51 AM

I'm noticing that many of the layovers in ZRH are one hour. I'm guessing that since they have so many of them, they know that's enough time? I'm comfortable with it since it's a Swiss Air connecting as well.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 11:55 AM

One hour is enough in ZRH, but it is a bit tight, so don't delay. At ZRH, you will likely have to go through passport control (they can be a pain in the a**), and also through security, where the lines can be long-ish, especially at the main 'A' gate screening lines.

I wouldn't hesitate to book the connection, but I wouldn't count on wandering around the airport trying to find a gift or something to eat. The airport is kind of dull, expensive, and depressing anyway.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 03:47 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Glad you had a good flight on Swiss simpsonc510. We flew them from ZRH to LAX in Business Class back in April and we thought they were truly awful.
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 03:28 AM

I rather like ZRH airport. It is very clean, cheery IMO. It is very easy to navigate, lots of window shopping options (yes, expensive stuff) but fun to look. I always pick up a supply of Swiss chocolates before heading back to the USA. I've also picked up a nice Longchamps travel bag that has been most useful.

Carol
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 03:37 AM

I guess I may just be bored with ZRH. I flew in or out of there some 30 times over the past 12 months and it really grew to annoy me. The shopping is limited compared to some of the bigger airports, and very expensive. The food options are also shockingly expensive. The temperature is always way too high. Many flights require a bus ride. And the security setup is absolutely, positively, 100% infuriating. But it is clean and can be bright if the sun actually shines.
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 04:35 AM

I only fly in and out of ZRH twice a year, so maybe that's why I find it refreshing. If I were there 30 times in a year... yeah, I suppose it'd get old.

Expensive??? Try the cheapest bottle of water and a teeny tiny "organic dill egg salad" that was barely edible at LGA for just under $12!!! $12!!!! Outrageous!!!!!!!! Makes ZRH seem cheap. And LGA was dirty, trash everywhere... yuk!
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 04:50 AM

Burger King at ZRH can easily set you back nearly $20, and that is probably the cheapest option in the airport. The Big King is awfully tasty, though.

Yeah, LGA stinks too, but everybody knows it. ZRH has a reputation that it doesn't deserve, which is why I mention it. When I compare it to some of the other possible connection points in Europe, it simply doesn't measure up. I mean, I flew in or out of CPH maybe 30 times over the past year, too, and would choose it over ZRH every time. I would also place AMS and LHR T5 ahead of it for connections.
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We paid 13.40 CHF for two small lattes in the ZRH airport but they sure hit the spot.
Old Dec 16th, 2009, 02:53 AM

If you fly Swiss, you won't need to purchase food at the airport. They feed you well on the plane. I did see a bottle of wine past security for sale with a twist-off top. That would be excellent if one is flying United in coach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -