FF award ticket on Delta Q-overnight ok?

May 5th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

FF award ticket on Delta Q-overnight ok?

Will Delta allow you to book a award ticket if it means that you would need to stay overnight to make connection? It doesn't appear to allow it online. Need to fly from ABQ to STT. The connection in ATL is either too tight or arrival is after last departure. Willing to stay overnight if that would be allowed.
May 5th, 2012, 08:34 AM

It will be allowed if there's no "legal" connection. Domestic > International "minimum connection time" (MCT) for Delta at ATL is 60 min.
May 5th, 2012, 08:42 AM

Oops, meant to add, that's IF they regard STT as international, since it's US territory. If they count it as domestic, then I believe the Domestic > Domestic MCT is something like 35 or 40 min.

You can usually "force" an overnight by choosing the last flight of the day. Check the schedule before you pick your flight, and you may need to book your flights on the phone to avoid the computer automatically putting you on flights that are too tightly scheduled.
May 5th, 2012, 08:52 AM

We are flying on award tickets this summer (to France) on Delta, and were required to spend an overnight on the way home in order to get tickets at the award level we needed. It must be possible! Try calling if you cannot get something to work out on the website, although if I remember correctly there is a small charge for using the agent (maybe waived depending on your "level" - I don't remember that part).
May 5th, 2012, 11:35 AM

Barbara -

Looks like Delta punishes us FFs. On our way home from Spain in Nov., we have to spend 24 hrs in Paris and then 7 hrs. in Seattle before we reach Reno ! 24 in Paris is one thing. 7 in Seattle is another !!
May 5th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

I'll give them a call, can't get it to work online. My level = 1 inch above standing in a whole. LOL, haven't flown them in years, this is basically a lot of old points that using my AMEX card at Costco keeps alive.
May 6th, 2012, 06:27 AM

I often book my mother a ticket with an overnight in Atlanta, but it is a scheduled flight so....
May 6th, 2012, 09:42 AM

I have United miles, so not familiar with Delta's program, however I find that I get better results when I call than when I search the web site.
May 7th, 2012, 08:22 PM

>>>I'll give them a call, can't get it to work online. My level = 1 inch above standing in a whole. LOL, haven't flown them in years, this is basically a lot of old points that using my AMEX card at Costco keeps alive.<<<

If you have transferred the points to Delta, you don't have to keep them alive. Delta miles don't expire.