Incomplete first name on international ticket

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2017, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I booked a ticket from US to London at an online travel website, using "Eric" as my first name, while on my US passport my first name is "Qulu Eric". My US driver license shows Eric as first name and "Qulu" as middle name. I have always used ERIC as first name for domestic travels, since I use driver license for ID. I am also having trouble asking the travel agent to make the name change.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old Apr 13th, 2017, 01:30 PM

Have you contacted the airline? I made a typo last time I booked an international flight online and the airline fixed it.
Old Apr 13th, 2017, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

The airlines said that I can only ask the travel agent to request name change. For some reason the agent has trouble getting the airlines to respond.

Does anyone have an idea whether I will be allowed to board?
Old Apr 13th, 2017, 11:45 PM

From what you are describing, it is not so much as an "incomplete" first name but that your second or middle name has been used instead of your first name. In these days of heightened airport security I would expect ( and indeed hope) that this would be challenged by staff at check in and I think it would be highly likely that you would be refused boarding. You could get lucky and get a very accomdating (or lax) staff member and get through but you would then face the same issue on your return.

"the agent has trouble getting the airlines to respond" more likely they are not trying hard enough. Be firm and insist that they do there job and sort this out.it may cost you in terms of an admin fee or even, with some airlines, buying a new ticket.

Alternatively, you could play dumb and turn up at the airport and go to the airlines sales desk and persuade them to sort it out. Take with you ALL the paperwork. CC statements, invoice etc. And the CC you used to pay for the ticket. Allow plenty of time at the airport
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 02:31 AM

You could play dumb and rock up to a ticket desk at the airport to get it sorted but you would be wasting your time.

No airline will amend a ticket bought through an agent - the agent has to deal with the issue but first ask the agent to find out if the amendment is necessary (or call the airline yourself just to ask the question).

It's not unusual for people to go by a middle name rather than their first name.

<<For some reason the agent has trouble getting the airlines to respond.>> Respond to what, does the agent have to wait for approval from the airline for the name change?
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 06:50 AM
J62

Personally, I would not worry about this. Your ticket, passport, and dl all show Eric.
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 07:25 AM

Airlines and online ticket agents I’ve dealt with have always been very clear that the name on the ticket must be “exactly as it appears on the passport.” Go back and do a dummy booking on the site you used the first time and you will probably see what apparently you missed the first time.

Which online agent did you use? Not doing their job, from the sounds of it. A good example of why it is always best to book directly with the airline (where possible).

Don’t risk it. If you have to cancel the first ticket and buy a new one, so be it.
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 03:36 PM

I'll answer with my typical European answer : I have 3 first names on my passport and on my ID and have never ever written any middle name in my entire life.
Last time we took a flight my wife was scrutinised because for some reason the passport is unclear and shows her 3rd middle name closer to her last name. My wife just said 'ah' and the Matter was settled.
But sure. You could have problems. I would give a 0'1 % probability.
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 05:52 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
With all the possible permutations of birth name, married name & middle name, I changed my "official" name for all purposes to 1 first name + my longest used last name. Life has been simpler as a result. Our middle (and other) names don't cease to exist when we stop using them, we just don't have to worry about mix-ups, as the OP demonstrates. I recommend the practice. The only requirement is that we be consistent, all docs match. I changed them all with just one objection from a low-ranking bank employee who was immediately overruled.
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 05:56 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I should say, "The only requirement (where I live) is that we be consistent..."

And even if there are rumblings that it isn't so easy, I think it's easier most places to simply choose to reduce the number of names, rather than change a name. Not even a peep from the passport people.