Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Expedite passport or not? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/expedite-passport-or-not-786430/)

NicInNC May 25th, 2009 06:06 PM

Expedite passport or not?

My family is taking a trip to Mexico or Jamaica in July (well, at least we WANT to). I had a passport over 20 years ago when I was a kid, but don't have a clue where it is. My DH and our children (ages 9 and 11) have never had one.

First question I have is Should I pay to have them expedited? Does it really shorten the length of time that you receive them? I was shocked that it will cost an extra $240 to have them expedited. BUT we really want to book the trip soon (although, I'm hearing that you can get good last minute deals, but I don't know if I want to take that chance). What do we do? Will the $240 extra be worth it? How soon will we get them then?

Also, on the passport application on page 1 section 10 of the application it asks for mothers name. Where it asks for her Last (Maiden) name, do I put her current last name (my maiden last name) or her maiden name? I'm really confused over that one.

Thanks!

suze May 25th, 2009 06:49 PM

Yes, I would pay to 'expedite' passports for a trip in July. Yes it is "worth it" if you have a trip, and your passports don't come in time otherwise.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure "maiden name" means the the name your mother had as a child, before her first marriage, the last name that her married mother/father most likely shared?

Citylghts May 25th, 2009 06:56 PM

I just renewed my passport in February and received it in less than 2 weeks. However, there may be a rush of people trying to get passports now for land crossings into Canada and Mexico.

The question is asking for your Mother's maiden name, not your maiden name. It's her name at her birth.

NicInNC May 26th, 2009 03:39 AM

Thanks to both of you. I'm going to pay to have it expedited. We don't have the trip booked yet. I won't do that until I have the passports in our hands.

gail May 26th, 2009 03:48 AM

Another thing to remember - there are specific rules about getting a passport for kids - as to whether they need to be there at time of application, both parent's signatures or presence - all designed to minimize fraud and parental abductions. Make sure you read Dept of State website rules carefully so your application is not delayed because of these rules - they vary by age of kids and I do not remember specifics - but you should check site anyway rather than relying on second hand info.

NicInNC May 26th, 2009 11:36 AM

We just got back from the post office to go through the process. We all went (including the children). Now I just sit back and wait for them to arrive!!

AnnMarie_C May 27th, 2009 03:56 AM

I received my non-expedited renewed passport in @ 2 weeks time, pretty shocked by the turn around time. In your case, I wouldn't risk it if you have your heart set on leaving in July as your situation appears more involved with the kiddos, etc. Best wishes.