Expedia and flight cancellation

Old Apr 4th, 2020, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Expedia and flight cancellation

I've just received notice from Expedia that our flights to Lisbon on April 30 have been cancelled. I figured they would be and have been waiting for Expedia to contact me as I haven't been able to get through to them for weeks.

The notice is very cryptic, just says they've issued an airline credit, no details. The hotel I booked as part of a package is still showing CONFIRMED. I contacted the hotel earlier this week and asked how they would handle non-refundable cancellations (the hotel is still open as I write this) and was told I'd get a credit for another time.

I'd assumed if flights were cancelled, I'd be given the option of a refund on the flights.

Our flights were on Lufthansa from Denver to Lisbon and United from Lisbon to Denver (Star Alliance).

I went into the Lufthansa site to send them a note in an effort to get a refund on the seats we'd selected and paid for. Their site doesn't give me the option of re-booking at a later date.

However, when I log into the United site, it gives me the option to cancel the flight or to use future flight credit. Since the flight is already cancelled, I'm not sure what would happen if I hit the cancel button.

Both airlines have completely different cancellation fees and re-booking policies.

I'd assume since I booked with Expedia, that the credit would be with Expedia, but that's not clear.

Has anyone here been in a similar situation with Expedia and if so how was it resolved?
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 07:36 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
.......since I booked with Expedia, that the credit would be with Expedia,...... Expedia is simply a third party booking. They passed your money to United. The credit will come from United. This is one of the main reason I always book directly with the airline. No question about responsibility.
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 08:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's through the airline. I used to book package deals through a 3rd party long ago until I found out I was flying standby. I did not like knowing that and only booked a cruise after that. They gave me the confirmation number and told me to contact the airline when I was worried about flying stand by again. The airline became my main contact after the payment was made.

I cancelled my non refundable flight to Edinburgh on United which was to occur end of May. I booked it myself directly so you could call them. I didn't do so until they said all change fees would be waived. I read two different things as first it was a credit to be used and if not used by a certain time then a full refund. Now I think it has to be used by the original purchase date of the ticket or Dec 31 2020 whichever occur first so I think the rules changed. My hotel is more tricky as that was booked with expedia and yes they haven't responded to my emails either and my hotel is offering full refunds on all bookings until end of May.

I hope this information is useful.
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fmpden View Post
.......since I booked with Expedia, that the credit would be with Expedia,...... Expedia is simply a third party booking. They passed your money to United. The credit will come from United. This is one of the main reason I always book directly with the airline. No question about responsibility.
Just United? Or part United and part Lufthansa?

This is the part that confuses me.
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 09:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Melnq8 View Post
Just United? Or part United and part Lufthansa?

This is the part that confuses me.
Which airline issued the ticket? United ticket numbers start with 016 and Lufthansa tickets begin with 220. You probably need to start there. FWIW, United has been playing hardball with refunds, even when it is the one cancelling a flight - although maybe the DOT enforcement statement yesterday might begin to change that?? I've never bought airfare through Expedia, so I can't help there, sorry.
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ms_go - thanks for that, I had no idea about the ticket numbers. I just looked at the booking and based on your info it appears United issued the ticket. Which explains why there's a cancel and credit button on United and not on Lufthansa.
Old May 28th, 2020, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update -

I made a refund request with United about two months ago and just heard back. They have agreed to refund the cost of my flights, but have sent the refund to Expedia, who will supposedly issue the refund to me. It'll be interesting to see how long that takes.

The non-refundable hotel I'd booked along with the flights as a package, was refunded a few weeks ago.
Old May 29th, 2020, 10:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good. It took a while but they did have some cash flow issues. It only makes sense that your refund will come from Expedia. Expedia took a cut out of what you paid.