European buying tickets in USD or CAD?

Apr 14th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

European buying tickets in USD or CAD?

As a Canadian living in France I usually use European booking sites, Expedia, Ebookers, etc. However I recently managed to get on to several North American sites rather than the European ones I normally get directed to.

I found that Cheaptickets is offering a Lufthansa flight Toulouse/Cape Town for 1316USD,(840 Euros) or 1339 CAD, (829 Euros). On the European sites, and on Lufthansa's own site, it is closer to 1000 Euros.

I thought at one time there were residency restrictions when buying airline tickets, but there is no indication on the Cheaptickets flight - they actually ask if you are a European resident because of date privacy regulations, and still quote the price in dollars

Recognizing that the currency rates on the day we book will obviously change, if the rates stay similar, is there any negative to booking with a service in another country?
Apr 15th, 2008, 12:58 AM

I think you'll be okay. I have bought tickets using websites from countries other than the one I reside in.

As a side not, here is a story of how my plan to use a U.S. site backfired.

I am an American living in Germany and I usually fly Delta. I used to go on Delta's German site; for my last trip, I used the U.S. site and was quoted ticket prices in dollars. I bought my tickets using a dollar-denomination credit card (but with a German billing address) thinking that I will not be charged a euro-to-dollar conversion fee because the charge is in dollars. When I got my statement, the charge was actually in euros and I was charged the conversion fee anyway. This happened because, I think, Delta automatically runs the charge in euros when it realizes I have a German billing address.
Apr 15th, 2008, 03:39 PM

Some US sites only take US addresses. One site I tried to use wouldn't take a non US issued credit card. The restrictions on buying tickets are usually to do with point of sale.
Apr 15th, 2008, 04:08 PM

If you have an AMEX, you can put in a friend or relative's US address. I asked AMEX about this, and that was their suggestion, so I presume they have no problem with that.
Apr 16th, 2008, 04:50 AM

I have AMEX but some sites have address validation. In the end, I booked as a guest instead of trying to create a login/profile and it worked for the site I was using. Hawaiian Airlines was a pain, since they wouldn't take my AMEX over the phone either, they insist you go via an agent for non US/Australian.

Search this Thread