Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Agent booked my ticket for the wrong day....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was trying to book a ticket on United's website the other day but it wouldn't let me advance without purchasing the trip insurance, which I didn't want. The flight was August 28th from Seattle to Indianapolis. I called them and was told the website was having that issue and continued with booking my ticket online. I specified I had to be in Indianapolis on the 28th and that was that.

I was out of town for the weekend and checked my email today and noticed my confirmation email listed my date of travel as the 30th!! I could have canceled or changed it for free within 24 hours but since it's been 72 hours, they want to charge me $151 to change the ticket and the total fee ($208.10) to cancel it.

Am I SOL in terms of getting this changed since it wasn't my fault? I looked at flights on both August 28th and 30th and there are still a lot of seats available. I haven't called them yet because I am looking for some point of action advice before I call and get the run around from one of their agents.

Thank you!
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 04:16 PM

If the agent isn't helpful, ask for a supervisor.
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 04:36 PM

Be as nice and polite as you can possibly be and throw yourself on the mercy of the agent. If the first one can't/won't help, hang up and call again and do the same for another agent. If you do this several times and don't get anywhere, ask to speak to a supervisor, then start all over again being as nice and polite as possible, etc. If you are lucky you will finally get a sympathetic agent who will waive the change fee for you.

If this doesn't work, then yes, you may be SOL, because after all, how are you going to prove that it was their mistake and not yours? It might just sound like the proverbial a-dog-ate-my-homework dodge to the airline, you know.

Next time, make a point of checking your confirmation in a more timely manner.
Old Dec 9th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

I called and luckily enough the first agent waived the change fee for me. I only had to pay the difference in airfare ($30). I was disconnected and had to call back but the second agent was just as nice. They even apologized many times.

I guess my previous experience with changing a flight (Delta) was less than pleasant, even after talking to a supervisor so I assumed United would give me the same run around as well. Very happy they didn't!