MAD-CDG-SEA-RNO luggage transfer question

Old May 5th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAD-CDG-SEA-RNO luggage transfer question

In November, we'll be returning to the US on three flights with three different airlines. These airlines are "partners" but ... will our luggage be automatically transferred from airline to airline till we reach home ?
We'll be flying out of Madrid on Air France to Paris. We have a 24 hr layover there. Then we fly Delta from CDG to Seattle where we have a 7 hr layover. We then fly Alaska to Reno, home. These are Delta FF tickets !!! We would prefer to cneck our bags in Mafrid and not see them till Reno, but is this possible ? Thanks.
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"We would prefer to cneck our bags in Mafrid and not see them till Reno, but is this possible ?"

Nope - even if you check them through (and I'm not sure I'd want to for the 24 hr CDG stopover) - you will retrieve them to go through customs at your first US airport (Sea-Tac)- then drop them back on the conveyor.
Old May 5th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, should we pick up our bags at CDG from Air France and haul them over to Delta for our flight the next day ? We don't want to drag them along with us to a hotel. Then in Seattle go thru Customs and on to Alaska Air ?
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:17 AM

Not checking them through w/ a 24 hour layover is just my personal preference (But then I never have so much luggage that it would be a hassle/schlepp). It seems to me if they will let you check your bags in 24 hours ahead of your flight, then checking them all the way through would be same-o same-o. Someone else will probably know for sure.

"Then in Seattle go thru Customs and on to Alaska Air ?"

Even if you can't check them all the way through - you can still check them from CDG to RNO. It is just that you will retrieve them in Seattle and then drop them as you leave the customs area --no need to go to the Alaska desk.
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:21 AM

And just something to think about . . . even IF you can check your bags through, do you really want them sitting around CDG for 24 hours??
Old May 8th, 2012, 02:54 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Personally, I'd check them through, regardless of the 24 hour layover (I do it all the time). Twenty-four hours is usually the max an airport will hold bags by the way...after that they're usually sent to lost luggage, tagged or not.

Just make sure they're tagged all the way through to your destination when you check in. Clear them in customs at SEA, then drop off for your domestic connection.

Pack your carry on with all you'll need for your 24 layover (and others) and avoid the hassle of having to collect and recheck.