Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

definition of internationl "secure" area with international airports

Old Feb 25th, 2014, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I understood that when one was in transit internationally, landed/connected at an intervening airport and remained in the "international area" of this airport(if it has one) and did NOT enter the country by clearing customs/passport control one is technically not "in" that country. Since I am applying my own definition to this I will hear/listen to corrections to that definition. I am leading to this--and specifically Canada, and specifically the Toronto airport. Recently my wife was booked on a flight from dfw to Istanbul via Toronto. It is a given that she is on a Canadian "list" of nationalities which "require" what is apparently called a transit visa. My question is, if she was not scheduled nor had any intent to actually enter the country of Canada(and she didn't)(i.e., stay in the "international area") why was ANY kind of visa required? We have encountered visa "situations" before but it was only when actually entering the country in question. If someone could clarify this for me I would appreciate it. Thanks
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 06:10 AM

Canada is one of few countries that do not have passport control for leaving the country. There is so true "transit"
area like in airports of other countries. When you fly into Canada, you must either go through Canadian immigration to enter Canada; or if you are at a few terminals, you go through US immigration to enter US. That's why you need a visa.

Not directly related to your question, but here in Hong Kong, even though there IS true secured transit area where the passenger does not enter HK, passengers from a handful of countries STILL need transit visa even just to change planes.

Some countries just don't want transit passengers from certain countries to come through their airport and ask for asylum, for example.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 06:11 AM

Sorry. I meant to say "NO true transit area" in Canada.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

So what you are also saying, I think, is that there is no true "international area" in the Toronto airport, even they kinda/sorta indicate there is. I've never been there--don't know--the subject was my wife. I was in Hong Kong many years ago, but she has never been. Thank you.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 05:56 PM

Basically yes.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 10:59 PM

I thought I understood that when one was in transit internationally, landed/connected at an intervening airport and remained in the "international area" of this airport(if it has one) and did NOT enter the country by clearing customs/passport control one is technically not "in" that country.

UK law requires a visa for some nationalities EVEN if they are staying airside, UK law can also detain and arrest people even if they stay airside.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 12:54 AM

There are many countries who require a transit visa, not just the UK.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

to alanrow---your premise is where I began with this question, because that was my understanding as well. Apparently Canada has a different twist to the idea. And yes, I understand that some countries require a visa even if one remains "international".