Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Carbonated beverages in checked luggage?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A young friend of ours in France wants us to bring him some root beer. Would it be safe to pack some in our checked luggage? If not, would it be allowed in a carry-on?
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 10:40 AM

Yes. Cargo areas are pressurized to the same level that the main cabin is so there is no problem.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 11:03 AM
sandi

I can't see why "soda" or "pop" wouldn't be allowed, but I wouldn't chance to pack it in checked luggage even if in bubble wrap or whatever. No one can guarantee it won't be shaken or tossed about (even to handlers) and cause the cans or bottles to explode or leak.

If this should happen it would be a nasty (and sticky way) to have to start your holiday by having to wash or dry clean or even dispose of your clothing.

I'd suggest you pack it in your carryon. You'd be able place it in the overhead in an upright position or on the floor and keep an eye on it.

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 05:53 PM

How timely that you would ask this! I am going to Canada next month and had thought about bring back some root beer for my son and his friends. I brought back one can when I went there 8 years ago, and my kids thought it was really cool that all the writing on the can was in French. My ideas are:
Zip a 6-pack into one of those soft-sided waterproof totes made for soft drinks. This should fit nicely into a corner of your suitcase. Or --
Take one of those new enlongated 12-packs and slide it into the overhead bin next to your carryon, or ask the flight attendant to store it in the "kitchen" for you.
Do they not have root beer in France?
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 04:02 AM

If you want an additional idea for a gift, many large "educational" toy stores carry root beer making kits - they are in small cannister about the size of an oatmeal cannister. They don't make all that much root beer, but friend might think it was cool to make his own.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Two minds with a single thought! We are planning to send the kid a kit for his birthday but still want to take a can or two with us. The boy is very science-oriented and should really enjoy the kit approach.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 06:17 AM

Go down to the grocery store and get a box of the heavy duty gallon size ziploc bags.

We used to *always* have a perfume bottle leak or something else open up and make a mess in our luggage. Now we pack everything in the baggies and haven't had a problem. You could do the same with the root beer.

FYI - cabin & cargo areas are pressurized to 5,000 - 8,000 feet per FAA regulations. This is the altitude of Denver & other mountain communities.