Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Dulles - domestic to int'l area - how difficult? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/dulles-domestic-to-intl-area-how-difficult-912084/)

hlphillips2 Nov 13th, 2011 07:05 PM

Dulles - domestic to int'l area - how difficult?

We're flying domestic into Dulles later this week and then on to an international flight. Because the tickets aren't linked (that's another story), we'll be exiting the secure area and checking into our international carrier. It's been several decades since I've flown through Dulles - how big of a challenge will it be to do this? We have 2.5 hours and are planning to carry on our domestic bags then check them internationally. Are the terminals all within the same building or is a bus ride generally necessary?

Thanks!

mrwunrfl Nov 13th, 2011 09:57 PM

What airlines are you using for each leg? Where are you flying from?

hlphillips2 Nov 14th, 2011 04:55 AM

Delta domestically from ATL. Then Icelandair.

martytravels Nov 14th, 2011 05:52 AM

Dulles doesn't really have separate domestic and international areas.....There are international gates on all the concourses. Not sure which concourse Icelandair uses, but Delta uses B.

hlphillips2 Nov 14th, 2011 06:06 AM

So is everything in the same building? I had to do something similar at LGA about three years ago and it would have been faster to take a taxi than the 20 minute walk three buildings away - just making sure this will be a smoother transition. Thanks!

martytravels Nov 14th, 2011 06:21 AM

There's an airport tram now if you have to change buildings. No more than 10 minutes to get anywhere, really.

mztery Nov 14th, 2011 07:10 AM

It really depends. FOr ex, sometimes United uses a satellite terminal for its incoming int'l flights, sometimes not. best thing is to see what terminals each flight comes into. (not that it will help exactly)
We hate Dulles for exactly that kind of issue - if you arrive when a lot of int'l flights are coming on it can take forever. 2:20 should be enough but it might be tight if it's crowded.

mrwunrfl Nov 14th, 2011 07:39 AM

You could take the AeroTrain or walk from B gates to the main terminal. Go upstairs to check in. Then downstairs, go through security, and probably take the train again to the other gate.

Why not check in online? Then you can just go to the gate, check in with the gate agent to show your passport and optionally gate-check your luggage. Icelandair has use of the Virgin Atlantic Club House lounge that you might be able to use for a day fee.

yestravel Nov 14th, 2011 02:45 PM

Incoming International flights should not effect you at all since you are arriving domestically most likely in Terminal B on Delta. I would check in online & gate check my bag to avoid going back to the main terminal and going thru security again to get to your Icelandair gate. With 2.5 hours I think u would be fine if u decide to go back to the main terminal and check in there.

Here's a map of IAD which may help u
http://www.metwashairports.com/dulles/815.htm

hlphillips2 Nov 14th, 2011 05:53 PM

Thanks!

101737 Mar 12th, 2013 06:52 AM

I have the same question. My airline just switched me from a Seattle, San Franciso Paris flight (with a 3 hour SFO layover) to a Seattle IAD Paris flight with a 1 hour 23 minute layover. We are flying United. Is 1hour 23 going to be enough. I am not familiar with IAD. I've only flown through the airport once, when I was 7 years old! Thanks for any advice.

yestravel Mar 12th, 2013 06:56 AM

You should not have a problem time wise. Look at the map in the post above. Your flight will likely arrive in either C or D Terminal and your outbound will depart from either C or D. The terminals are adjacent to one another. At the most it might take you 15 minutes should you arrive at one end of one terminal and have to walk all the way to the other end of the other terminal.

mrwunrfl Mar 12th, 2013 08:32 AM

Agree with yestravel, but you might not have to accept the change. You might be able to get different routing or schedule with no fee.

101737 Mar 12th, 2013 07:22 PM

Thank you! I feel so much better knowing that we won't have too far to go to switch planes. :)