Duffel Bag as Carry On

Old Feb 25th, 2021, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duffel Bag as Carry On

Hi all,

I have a flight I am taking tomorrow and I'm packing a soft body duffel bag for my carry-on. The only issue I have with it is it is 2-3 inches longer than the stated limits. My question is, if I don't fully pack it, will my airline (American Airlines) allow me to "crush" it down to fit into the measurements? Thanks for the help!
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 11:10 AM

This is one of those questions that doesn’t have a set answer. While you should be OK if your under filled bag can be crushed down so it fits in the overhead compartment (or if you are able to fit in the “luggage sizer” if requested by the gate agent before boarding) it will really depend upon how strictly the gate agent and/or flight attendants will interpret and/or enforce the carryon rules the day you fly. In all probability you should have a 98+% chance of anyone even noticing your bag is too big let alone confronting you. However, if the plane is extremely full and/or either the gate agents or FA’s are having a bad day one or more of them could give you a hard time. If that happens you’ll really have no recourse other than to gate check your bag.
Old Feb 25th, 2021, 12:34 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
^^^ ditto everything RoamsAround posted. You'll 'probably be fine but if they scrutinize it - maybe not. It will really help if it is light enough that you are just casually carrying it instead of trudging to the counter.
Old Feb 26th, 2021, 07:54 AM

I agree with the "probably". if it really squishes down to the right size, I'd say most probably.

Partly this depends on the flight, which you don't state. Smaller planes can have really small overhead bins. Also, it probably depends how full they are, they get more rigorous if the flight is very full. United wouldn't allow one of my carryons once on a connecting flight, even though the first flight allowed it with no problem. Go figure.

BUt whatever will happen, will happen, really, what difference does it make? You'll find out, the worst is you have to gate check it, so what. I wouldn't put anything super important in it for that reason (ie, meds).

If somehow it would be really terrible if you have to gate check it, and you have another smaller bag you can use, sure, I'd go with whatever is a sure thing.
Old Mar 14th, 2021, 11:43 AM

I find that it's pretty willy nilly as to how they make this determination. I've actually had a carry on that FIT into the little box they have at the boarding gate and they still made me check it, which was irritating since it costs more money. I'm curious if they allowed to bring it on board the flight.
Old Mar 15th, 2021, 11:03 AM

When I'm on a carrier that I think MIGHT not allow it, I've been known to use some device such as clips or staples or even needle and thread, to temporarily reduce the dimensions of the bag.
Old Mar 27th, 2021, 02:30 PM

If you have luggage strap use it to "shrink" the bag. If it is too big to fit end to end in the overhead, you will have a problem.