Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Double EQMs on United (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/double-eqms-on-united-774083/)

mrwunrfl Mar 19th, 2009 10:23 PM

Double EQMs on United

Too bad about the first restriction:

Booking dates: March 19, 2009 - June 15, 2009
Travel dates: March 19, 2009 - June 15, 2009
Registration dates: March 19, 2009 - June 15, 2009

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52639,00.html

rkkwan Mar 19th, 2009 10:34 PM

Which restriction are you referring to?

Melnq8 Mar 19th, 2009 11:30 PM

No kidding too bad. I've already booked my Star Alliance RTW and will only get to benefit on a few short flights. Oh well...

AAFrequentFlyer Mar 20th, 2009 03:02 AM

AA is doing the same thing

ms_go Mar 20th, 2009 03:24 AM

<i>Which restriction are you referring to?</i> Booking dates...it doesn't apply to tickets booked before March 19.

I registered but as usual it won't make much difference for me. I'll get to 50k EQMs this year without it, but I don't have time (or $) to add anything substantial in the next few months. Our big one--trip to Japan next week--won't qualify (way too expensive now to re-ticket that).

DonTopaz Mar 20th, 2009 04:09 AM

Problem w/EQMs is that they are only an incentive to fly UA.

At least ith spendable miles you could save up until you have enough for a decent award, then bail out

rkkwan Mar 20th, 2009 07:05 AM

Of course it's only an incentive to fly UA. That's the whole point!

Just think about it this way. You can get Premiere status by just flying one roundtrip to Asia, right now often at around $800. That status will be good for until 2/2010. You get all the benefits with bonus miles, E+ seating, etc, for 20 months!

yk Mar 20th, 2009 07:56 AM

too bad that the AA promo is only good for flights booked after March 18. I have 2 flights booked before that date even though my travel dates are within the time period.

last year I did take advantage of the AA EQM promo for my trip to London. As a result, I just made PLT by end of year (by flying a redeye from LA to BOS on dec 31st)!

rkkwan Mar 20th, 2009 08:37 AM

CO just matched. And apply to pre-existing reservations. But it's not clear if the cheap fares that get 50% EQM (+ 50% co.com bonus) will get nothing more? 50% more? Or 100% more?

yk Mar 20th, 2009 08:41 AM

PRE-existing reservations!?!? I hope AA will change its mind and match that!

AskOksena Mar 20th, 2009 10:06 AM

... oh yes, the good ol' UA EQM - warms this 1K's heart, though, still patiently waiting for that 'global service' crown - do you think 'they' already know I'm a full-on SIA PPS loyalist and not about to switch? ... (No matter how much SQ declines to show that 'PPS Love' - but times are slowly changing in SIN) ...

... (Just between us: certain UA Asian female FAs will always hold a special place in my monthly trans-pac heart, particularly the lovely Ms. _, who will forever remind me of Shizuka Arakawa ... (she was rather flattered by my compliment, and, as always, please don't tell the SQ-Forever wife) ...

... celebrate your 'double miles' ... (perhaps, with two Thai masseuses in various, friendly Bangkok hotels) ...

macintosh (robert)

... fly the friendly skies ...

rkkwan Mar 20th, 2009 09:11 PM

Oh my... I am so tempted to do a LAX-SYD mileage run next weekend. $791 all-in. Saturday night in Sydney. Instant premiere status. It'll be new route, new airport, new country, new hemisphere for me.

kuranosuke Mar 20th, 2009 10:42 PM

rk, go for it!!

mrwunrfl Mar 20th, 2009 10:54 PM

New continent too, rk. You should go for it. The USD is doing well there and they need the tourists.

Or Moscow for under $500 from LAX (14390 EQMs roundtrip, LAX-IAD-DME). Add about $200 to get a visa.

It is the booking dates restriction that I don't like because I have a ticket to Moscow at the beginning of April that I bought in February. And LAX-x-PIT in May, bought in Jan.

Been thinking about making a change to the DME res because the return connection at IAD is only an hour or so and I learned last month that it won't be enough. I learned that the easy way because I had a later flight than the one I will have in April. Now, if I can get the double-EQM by rebooking on the later flight then I might pay the change fee and get on UA 947 with the international biz class (bucket) seats for IAD-LAX and make the connection, no sweat.

I paid $825 for a W fare to Moscow so that I could upgrade it with systemwide upgrades. 1K status earned with last year's DEQM promo - 28710 bonus EQMs.

rkkwan Mar 20th, 2009 10:59 PM

Russian visa is too expensive and much trouble - same with Chinese one. Australian one is only A$20 and can be done online.

Better yet, I can visit and stay with my cousin in Sydney. So, even save on hotel. And I can meet his wife and baby for the first time.

mrwunrfl Mar 20th, 2009 11:06 PM

And, unlike Russia, you already know the alphabet. HKG is $728 for 29112 EQMs via NRT.

rkkwan Mar 20th, 2009 11:29 PM

On the dates I want to go, HKG is about $1,100. SIN have even more miles, also about $1,100. But I will have the leave the next morning, with only about 7 hours at SIN, and not that much more at HKG. Can't do much except sleep.

SYD actually gives me the most time on the ground, with about 31 hours. :D

rkkwan Mar 20th, 2009 11:30 PM

Oh, haha... And I <i>think</i> I know the language at SYD too. Not just the alphabets. :p

Melnq8 Mar 20th, 2009 11:47 PM

<And I think I know the language at SYD too.>

Don't count on it. They talk pretty funny down here.

rkkwan Mar 20th, 2009 11:50 PM

But initially, I was trying to go with AA. I thought I would take advantage of all 4 of these offers in one trip:

UK50K for 25K bonus miles in economy, H or above
DBEQM for double EQM
BOS3X for tripble miles LAX-BOS
OWB09 for 10K bonus miles when connecting to a oneworld, H fare or above

I was hoping to do something like LAX-BOS-LHR-xxx. But due to my time restraint, it's hard to do it all, and will cost me quite a bit more than UA to SYD due to the H fare. :p