Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Do you think cannolis are "liquids/gels" (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/do-you-think-cannolis-are-liquids-gels-429099/)

gail Sep 7th, 2008 01:37 AM

Do you think cannolis are "liquids/gels"

Want to bring some from favorite hometown bakery to homesick college dtr when we visit for Parents' Weekend as carry-ons. Do you think they will make it thru security? What if we bring extras to bribe TSA?

esm Sep 7th, 2008 05:04 AM

I say take them. They'll be in a bakery box and not really in the liquids/gels category. But a few extra to share with TSA won't hurt!

A_Traveller Sep 7th, 2008 05:07 AM

Unfortunately for you the cannoli "filling" falls into the category of a gel and will not be allowed past the TSA checkpoint (regardless if you bring extra for the screening agents) if there is more than 3 oz. of filling. Here's a website with the regulations (scroll down to food items):

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

RoamsAround Sep 7th, 2008 05:10 AM

esm is "wrong" - like A_Traveller says the cream filling in a cannoli definitely falls into the category of a gel - the TSA regs are quite clear on that. You can put them in your checked luggage.

esm Sep 7th, 2008 06:22 AM

good grief I was so wrong! I'll be reading the TSA rules for the rest of this morning.

gail Sep 7th, 2008 09:32 AM

Now I am picturing cannolis as a weapon.

esm Sep 7th, 2008 01:22 PM

LOL, here comes gail with cannolis in each hand! At least you can eat them prior to clearing security if not allowed to carry on.

I feel lucky that I've been getting away with bringing pastries from CA without being told off by TSA. I travel twice a year to visit family and end up bringing a few goodies back. Never cannolis but small cream/custard-containing pastries (3-4).

I also bring lunch for the flight back east and several times have brought dips in small containers in a tote bag not in the 3-1-1 bags without problems.

Seamus Sep 7th, 2008 03:15 PM

gail - when I am in Boston I make a last stop before the airport my favorite bakery in the North End - Modern. They will sell you filling and the shells separately. I carry on the shells (usually eliciting some drooling from those who see the bakery box) and put the filling in my checked bag inside double ziplocks. I do not put in coldpacks but that could be done if you had a long transit time. So far I have not had a problem doing this.
BTW I have carried the filling on board with me and was not stopped by TSA, but wouldn't chance it.

Momliz Sep 8th, 2008 02:39 PM

let me taste a few, and I'll tell you ;)

BudgetQueen Sep 9th, 2008 05:59 AM

Cannolis need to be refrigerated. :)

I flew in July and indeed, I did see some food items discarded, some unknown pasteries were among them from angry passengers. Another couple was huddled on the side, eating mouthfuls.

W9London Sep 9th, 2008 06:18 AM

gail,

Can you freeze the cannolis? It will be solid then, and you can bring as carry-ons?

RoamsAround Sep 9th, 2008 07:40 AM

W9London - No! You cannot bring frozen items that are liquids or gels in their "natural state" as they are still considered "liquids or gels" for TSA purposes.

DonTopaz Sep 9th, 2008 09:39 AM

Cannoli, not cannolis, please.

xrae Sep 10th, 2008 04:49 PM

Can you bring Cannoli of less than 3oz if they're in your zippy bag with the other dangerous items?

BudgetQueen Sep 12th, 2008 05:52 AM

And, no you can not freeze them.

ncounty Sep 12th, 2008 09:08 AM

OMG, the death of common sense.....this is what our world has come to.

cindybww Apr 7th, 2011 07:28 PM

NO. Cannoli does not fall into the liguid/gel category. I just got home from Logan Airport and I not only carried a box of them home, I spoke with the TSA agent and she said that they have TONS of people that carry cannoli on the plane - not a problem at all!!!

DebitNM Apr 7th, 2011 07:41 PM

wow, welcome back cindy. This is your first post in 3 years and you picked a 3 year old thread to post on. You have a lot of catching up/reading to do. Don't wait 3 years again to post. :)

CarolA Apr 8th, 2011 05:15 AM

I expect that the real truth is "are the security agents" hungry?

(I am serious, since most of the "security" is theater!)

AJPeabody Apr 9th, 2011 04:02 PM

Weaponized pastry! "Hand over your wallet! I have a cannoli and I'm not afraid to use it!"

Reminds me of the Monty Python sketch where recruits have to defend themselves against fruit.

By the way, brains are considered a gel and are not allowed in the TSA.