Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   discount versus major airlines (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/discount-versus-major-airlines-223963/)

Discount vs Majors May 22nd, 2002 01:01 PM

discount versus major airlines

I'm planning a trip from SEA to New York and have several choices of airlines. The major carriers (like United or American) are a bit pricier than the discounts. <BR><BR>The only discount I've flew on was Jet Blue once from JFK to SEA and didn't really enjoy it. I liked the fact that the planes were new, that each seat had its own tv, and its a non stop flight. However, i didn't like the fact that the flight attendants kept reminding the passengers that we had a duty to keep this airline low cost -- they kept blurring over the speaker to clean up around us; help them to keep cost low, blah, blah, blah . . . A little tacky in my opinion. <BR><BR>I was wondering if other discount airlines are like them. In particular, has anyone flew on National, Frontier, America West, or ATA? I'd like to hear your experience on flying discounts versus majors.<BR><BR>If the prices between major and discounts were indifferent and also was indifferent between non stop versus 1 stop, which airline would you fly?

FrugalFred May 22nd, 2002 02:08 PM

I'd fly with jetBlue anyway! I like the seats, the TV, the refreshments, and most of all, I think it's time someone reminded some of the pigs that fly and leave their crap all over for "others" to clean up that everyone pays for that unnecessary service.

Barbara May 22nd, 2002 02:53 PM

The only nonstop service between SEA and NYC is either AA or UA. AA has much more legroom throughout coach.<BR><BR>

Discount vs Major May 22nd, 2002 04:56 PM

Barbara -- I can tell you, from first hand experience, that JetBlue has a direct, non stop service from SEA to JFK. I'm also aware of United's non stop to JFK, but wasn't aware of AA's non stop service. Which airport does AA go non stop to?

yyy May 22nd, 2002 05:48 PM

Nonstop service between Seattle and JFK is provided by American, Delta, United, and Jet Blue.<BR><BR>Northwest has nonstops between Seattle and LaGuardia.<BR><BR>To Newark, Continental and United.

ronald May 23rd, 2002 01:49 AM

Beware - direct and non-stop are not the same thing. Direct means the planes has the same flight number all the way, you stay on the plane, but it could stop 8 zillion times. Non-stop means non-stop.

Not Me May 23rd, 2002 03:21 AM

ALl th information above is about nonstops.

Discount vs MAajors May 23rd, 2002 09:28 AM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. But to keep the topic on track, I'd like to hear people's experience with discount airlines like National, America West, Frontier, and ATA. How do they stack up against AA or United? <BR><BR>With everything all things being equal, which airline mentioned above would you fly with? Which gives you the most value (not from cost aspect, rather overall satisfaction of service and quality)?

Faina May 23rd, 2002 09:42 AM

I flew Southwest and National, both were short flights so can't compare the food. They delivered me on time, served drinks constantly, greeted me at the door, and I don't remember anything out of ordinary. I would fly them again.

x May 23rd, 2002 12:19 PM

The only way I would fly a discount airline is if I knew their policy on putting you on another airline in case of a problem.<BR><BR>If a flight is cancelled or there is some major mechanical delay, at least a major airline has agreements in place to put you on another carrier. <BR><BR>On a discount carrier, that doesn't have that same type of agreement, you are pretty much stuck with them.<BR><BR>

a Professional Agent May 24th, 2002 07:27 AM

For Hundreds and Sometimes Thousands worth of difference in Price I will wait around the airport a while.

kkj Jun 16th, 2002 12:05 AM

I have flown almost all the airlines you mentioned and have had no problems. I wouldn't necessarily put America West into a discount category. It's a major airline with a regional emphasis. I would feel comfortable on any of the airlines.<BR><BR>I have not flown Jet Blue, but have heard nothing but good things about it. While announcements about cleaning up after yourself aren't fun, unfortunately they are necessary. People are so thoughtless when they fly and leave messes for everyone.<BR><BR>Have a good trip.

Jamila Jun 16th, 2002 06:27 AM

ATA and Southwest are great airlines. I have flown them both many times. They always takeoff on time and most of the time land a little early. Most of ATAs planes are brand new as well.

ladypop Jun 24th, 2002 08:05 PM

Well, I've flown National and America West to Vegas. I didn't like America West.....National was okay but coming back from Vegas new year's day, the plane was delayed at the gate for over 45 min. <BR>I've yet to try Jet Blue but I may give it a try since I'm heading back east for the holidays.