Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Difference between name on international plane ticket and passport (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/difference-between-name-on-international-plane-ticket-and-passport-846194/)

Oceanic27 Jun 22nd, 2010 10:06 AM

Difference between name on international plane ticket and passport

I am traveling with my school to Honduras for a couple of weeks this summer, and my professor booked all of the plane tickets. When she emailed us asking for our names as they are on our passports I automatically responded with how my name is on everything else, just the initial for my middle name. On my passport my middle name is written out in full and not just initialed. The rest of my name (like my first and last name) is the same, the only difference is my middle name. Will it be a problem when flying internationally? Because if it is... she is going to HATE me, and she's my thesis advisor so that could end very, very badly.

RoamsAround Jun 22nd, 2010 10:24 AM

You'll be just fine. My Passport has my full name and my airline tickets always show just my first & last name. I've been travelling internationally multiple times a year for 20+ years (most recent flight was yesterday) and never had a problem.

J62 Jun 22nd, 2010 12:19 PM

Agreed - no problem.

suze Jun 22nd, 2010 02:04 PM

Same here. Passport shows full middle name, but I either use my initial or nothing on the plane ticket. It's never once been questioned (in approx. 30 trips out of the USA).

Shooie Jun 22nd, 2010 02:28 PM

I think the international flying rules have been changing recently, and you must have your middle name on your ticket to match your passport. You can call the airlines and ask them.

ipod_robbie Jun 22nd, 2010 03:18 PM

Sorry, but you think wrong. The rules haven't changed since yesterday thwn RA flew.

Middle initial on the ticket is fine.

Oceanic27 Jun 22nd, 2010 10:04 PM

I contacted the airline I am flying on (TACA), and they sent a generic reply that said you can only change your first and last name and a list of reasons why you would be allowed to change the name on a passport. I am hoping it should be okay.

twiggers Jun 23rd, 2010 08:49 AM

I remember reading something saying that the middle name/middle initial thing is not being enforced right now. That could change though.

I actually had this just happen on a domestic flight last week (middle name was put on ticket, but it's not on my drivers license). I brought my passport as a backup form of ID, but they didn't care. They glanced at my drivers license, up at me, and signed off on it.

Oceanic27 Jul 4th, 2010 06:26 AM

I contacted both TSA and US Customs, neither gave a satisfactory reply that answered my question unfortunately

CarolA Jul 4th, 2010 10:36 AM

You should be fine....

The only thing it MIGHT trigger is the TSA's screening. In theory they have you fill out the "Secure ID" and then they screen your boarding pass against thier system and it all has to match. If it doesn't you still get on the plane you just might get a more through search.

I say "in theory" because as someone who has flown at least 2 or 3 times a month since "secure ID" was implemented I have NEVER had my boarding pass "scanned" to make sure the "info" I put in matches the ID. And until recently when Delta changed their website I didn't put the info in all the time.

However, even with the "new" info, my boarding pass is still first name, middle initial, last name....