Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   DFW -- 55-minute layover (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/dfw-55-minute-layover-781959/)

andrews98682 Apr 29th, 2009 06:53 PM

DFW -- 55-minute layover

Going from O'Hare to Honolulu via DFW in August with a 55-minute layover. What do you think, am I cutting it too close? I booked first class using miles and the connecting flight would be on a 767 with the angled-flat seat, as opposed to narrow bodies going through LA so that's why I took that flight combo.

Jeff_Costa_Rica Apr 29th, 2009 07:04 PM

The only answer anyone can give you is, maybe, maybe not. If your ORD-DFW flight is exactly on time, it'll be fine. Too much of a delay, it won't be. Any itinerary that involves ORD, and I give myself a lot of connection time to build in. I've experienced too many delays there.

dfr4848 Apr 30th, 2009 04:12 AM

Agree with Jeff, but usually you should be fine even if you have to change terminals. I've made plenty of connections at DFW with less than 55 min. Just be prepared to hustle if needed.

RoamsAround Apr 30th, 2009 06:52 AM

I fly through DFW often.

As the others said 55 minutes is doable if your in-bound flight is not delayed. If you are delayed make sure you have a back-up plan.

You don't say what airline you are flying on but if it's American you could be arriving at and departing from any one of 4 terminals. While there is a "high speed" tram that connects all the terminals that is within the secure area it is conceivable you'll use the bulk of your time deplaning and getting to the next gate. Remember too that boarding for the outbound flight begins 30 minutes prior to schedule departure. That means you actually have less than 55 "real minutes" between flights. Of course, there's always a possibility your arrival and departure gates are right next to each other. The point is you won't know this until the day of your flight.

Andrew Apr 30th, 2009 10:51 AM

Exactly - have a backup plan. Is there another flight from DFW to HNL on the same airline a few hours later? If so, you'd probably get on it if you missed your connection and you can worry less.

P_M Apr 30th, 2009 02:46 PM

As the others have said, if there are no major delays 55 minutes is more than enough time, even with a terminal change. They have a speedy train that will whisk you around the airport in no time.

Now here's the bad news if there is a delay. I just checked AA's schedules and I think you are on flight #5 leaving at 1:35? That is the last non-stop of the day. You might be able to go stand-by on an earlier flight to DFW, I would consider that.

rkkwan Apr 30th, 2009 04:25 PM

Who says there's no high-speed train in the US? DFW definitely has one. :D

andrews98682 Apr 30th, 2009 10:49 PM

I've made connections in DFW before and I realize that's a bit tight. I think if I missed the connection, they would probably put me on a flight through LA. I might try for an earlier flight when I get closer to the date.

pat May 2nd, 2009 09:39 AM

I have 47 minutes between flights at DFW. It`s a flight from Boston to Dallas, with the next flight DFW to Reno. It`s the last flight of the day to Reno, but I have decided not stress out over it. If I miss the plane, AA says they will put me on another flight with another airline. Failing that, they will put me up over night at DFW. The flight from DFW to Reno, is just as likely to be late, as the flight from Boston to Dallas.

CarolA May 3rd, 2009 07:42 AM

I rountinely make that type of a connection in DFW. If the weather is bad, remember it's bad on both sides of the mess, (inbound and outbound)

Gardyloo May 3rd, 2009 07:56 AM

<i>I rountinely make that type of a connection in DFW. If the weather is bad, remember it's bad on both sides of the mess, (inbound and outbound)</i>

Ditto here. In fact, I'm off to DFW tonight for a rapid trip to Tokyo (leaving tomorrow morning) and have noted that for the last two or three days the returning NRT-DFW flight, which I'll be on later this week, has been diverted to some lovely place like Tulsa or Abilene due to the usual cr@p weather at DFW this time of year. I have a 2-hr connection including I&C on the return, so if we're delayed I'll have to find a bed near DFW until I can go home to SEA the next morning. Good luck with that.

I'm a big fan of AA (as much as one can be a "fan" of any detached mega-corporation) but having their HQ and main hub in Dallas/Ft Worth has never made much sense to me. Ditto UA (and AA) at ORD. I understand the hub and spoke architecture thing, but my god those places have miserable weather for so much of the year...

Dayenu Jun 26th, 2009 03:10 PM

I am in the same position - looking at 1 hr layover at DWF, but they have 2 more flights that day. Luggage will be checked in, both legs domestic, Wednesday.

I'm still thinking to make SFO - MIA RT or fly out of FLL - schedule is fine, and I'll save at least $100 per ticket! The flight out is on Sunday, those seats will go fast, gotta snatch now what I can!

Anyway, thank you all who replied to Andrews, happy to declare the search is working :))

andrews98682 Jun 26th, 2009 09:36 PM

Thanks everyone.