Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Denver to NYC roundtrip (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/denver-to-nyc-roundtrip-883214/)

mclaurie Mar 23rd, 2011 05:59 AM

Denver to NYC roundtrip

Helping some friends who need 5 (1 adult & 4 kids) tickets for this route coming in late June and returning in late July. I've searched kayak and also checked Southwest. Any other thoughts? Non-stop fare seems to be ~$375/ticket. Any thoughts on sales or other options to consider? Their preference for NYC airport is JFK or LGA (or ISP).

rkkwan Mar 23rd, 2011 06:49 AM

Sounds right. That's the new normal fare.

NoFlyZone Mar 23rd, 2011 07:26 AM

Also search hipmunk.com. I have found fares (legitimate, real) on there which are not on Kayak.

mclaurie Mar 23rd, 2011 08:27 AM

Thanks for the heads up on hipmunk. Haven't seen that before. Do you think there's any hope of a sale on Jet Blue or any of the other carriers for this trip? Trying to determine if it's worth waiting to buy.

mztery Mar 23rd, 2011 09:49 AM

if they are staying more than 30 days that may trigger a higher fare

with fuel prices rising my GUESS is that fares will not go down - Delta for ex is cutting a lit of capacity and other airlines may follow

it's possible 5 seats on one flight exhausts the cheapest fare buckets - if it were 5 adults I'd say look at splitting the reservation but not w/ adult and 4 kids

it IS high season so I suspect 370 may be as low as it goes - have you checked DEN to Newark?

tomfuller Mar 23rd, 2011 10:33 AM

This is a rare case where 2 adults and 4 children under 16 can travel to New York City from Denver and return for less than $1600. How? Amtrak California Zephyr to Chicago layover and the Lakeshore Limited to New York. Return at the end of July is no problem. Amtrak will not allow 1 adult to travel with more than two kids. This won't work if you have something scheduled in NY the day after they could leave Denver.
Am I going to get kicked off the Air Travel Forum for suggesting such a thing?

NoFlyZone Mar 23rd, 2011 11:19 AM

I agree with tomfuller about checking out Amtrak with the proviso that his sub $1600 fare total is based on sitting in coach seats for 20+ hours on each of the Zephyr and Lakeshore. Adding sleeping rooms will bring it up to about $5000.

Also Amtrak does NOT have any limitation on the number of kids per adult. The restriction tomfuller refers to is that each adult can go with only 2 kids at the discounted child fare and other kids must travel at the adult fare. So in this case it would be fared as 4 adults and 2 children.

I wish Amtrak were not so expensive these days. But they will sell out during the summer months so they must be doing something right.

NoFlyZone Mar 23rd, 2011 11:20 AM

We need an editor! Corrected sentence above should read:

So in this case it would be fared as 3 adults and 2 children.

tomfuller Mar 23rd, 2011 11:37 AM

Yup I travel in coach. Over 30,000 miles on Amtrak and ViaRail in the last 10 years. Hasn't killed me yet.

rkkwan Mar 23rd, 2011 12:17 PM

Why take AMTRAK with a change and 45 hours in total travel time when you can ride "direct" on Greyhound that <b>only</b> takes about 38 hours?

And cheaper. On both, you have to buy tickets for 2 adults and 3 children, as neither will allow one adult with 4 kids. Lowest price I can find on AMTRAK is about $773 each way for the five passengers; while it's $609 on Greyhound.

J62 Mar 23rd, 2011 12:48 PM

I always prefer non-stop, which for Denver that means JFK or EWR, except on Saturdays. DEN-LGA non-stops are allowed on Sat only.

mclaurie Mar 23rd, 2011 01:53 PM

1) It's not 2 adults it's one
2) The number of passengers doesn't seem to change the airfare. I don't see any airfare cheaper when I search for just 1 person
3) Amtrak is not worthwhile
Thanks for your help.

Sue878 Mar 24th, 2011 12:45 PM

Did you check Frontier Airlines, I believe they fly non-stop to NY.

mclaurie Mar 25th, 2011 06:44 AM

Yup, kayak includes Frontier and they weren't any cheaper.