Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Delta potential strike (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/delta-potential-strike-605074/)

basj Apr 4th, 2006 11:35 AM

Delta potential strike

What happens if Delta goes on strike and you have tickets that you have Delta and Air france?

BeachBoi Apr 4th, 2006 11:40 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=126

Patty Apr 4th, 2006 12:22 PM

Is your ticket issued by Delta or Air France?

basj Apr 4th, 2006 04:28 PM

Patty,

I used my frequest flyer miles. I am supposed to travel non stop delta to athens and returning on air france through paris.

TioGringo Apr 4th, 2006 05:33 PM

When is your flight?

I heard the strike isn't likely to happen until after the fate of their contract is known (which is supposed to be April 15). If you're leaving prior to 4/15, you should be okay....after that, I'd be worried...

Keepin' my fingers crossed for you!
Mark
www.tiogringo.com

NoFlyZone Apr 5th, 2006 04:21 AM

The fate of award tickets is completely unknown. There are laws which cover purchased tickets but nobody knows how thos laws apply to award tickets.

In your case, it depends on if and why the Delta flights are not operating. If the company closes down you are outaluck. Otherwise you may be able to redeposit your miles. Don't count on any other airline transporting you.

If you successfully get to Athens, AF will most probably honor the return tickets I would think, at least on a standby basis.

But again, there's really no pont in worrying about it until we know something concrete about the fate of the company.

mikemo Apr 7th, 2006 11:29 AM

The Pilots are fools: they'll be selling shoes and laying carpet for minimum wage shortly.
M

mauitammy Apr 7th, 2006 11:47 AM

A news station in Cincinnati is reporting the ALPA told the pilots at CVG to clean out their lockers. Sounds really bad. I am very disappointed.

ccolor Apr 8th, 2006 05:06 AM

When would the 30-day cooling-off period come into effect? Or does it at all?

dutyfree Apr 8th, 2006 07:12 PM

Pilots do not have lockers at an airport. The media is whipping more fuel on this fire than need be. There is too much to lose for all parties concerned.This has been this way for every airline strike that I can remember-each side going down for the final count and pushing each to the limit.

NoFlyZone Apr 9th, 2006 03:37 AM

Whether there is a federally mandated cooling off period is up for discussion this time around as there is no concensus as to whether the law applies!

First reason is it has not been determined whether such a period applies to a strike based on the results of a decision by an arbitrator.

Second is that the pilots say they will strike if the arbitrator negates their contract and the pilots position is that without a contract they are not bound by the federal law and thus can strike at will. Some pretty complex issues here.

Yes, pilots do have lockers at some ariports. Mainly so they don't have to lug their cases home and back whenever they fly. This can be verified by taking a look at some of the pilot forums online.

ccolor Apr 9th, 2006 07:32 AM

I'm so frustrated by all this. I am competely behind anybody who deserves what they work for, and cannot imagine losing as much money a year as Delta pilots are looking at right now - but on the other hand, I'm really tired of worrying every few years if they will be around or not and if my present tickets to see my daughter get her Masters degree are worth the paper they are printed on. Will this confusion EVER end?

clevelandbrown Apr 9th, 2006 12:58 PM

I know the publicity put out about how draconian the proposed salary cuts are rarely reveals the actual salaries. The top tier of commercial pilots is very well paid, and would remain so even if their salaries were reduced by 50%. One article I saw reported a first seat pilot on a Delta wide body earns about $265,000 a year. That's a lot more than a bus driver, and either can get you killed by making a mistake, and the bus driver doesn't even have autopilot.

The whole country is going through a cycle where unionized labor is facing pay reductions. Look at what the autoworkers are promised, mostly layoffs, with sharp wage reductions for those who are not laid off. Its just a fact of life that companies who have allowed these high wage pacts are becoming uncompetitive, and risk destruction unless they do something about it.

And lest someone think I am anti-worker, don't even ask me about the management engorgement pacts that have the same effect.

When I was in high school, some of the students never applied themselves; their fathers worked in the mills, and so they had access to a job in the mill which, even then paid extremely well. We are reaping what we have sown.

I would guess that the Delta pilots will not strike, because they know very well that there is a glut of pilots around, and within weeks Delta could be back in business with replacements. There doesn't appear to be a lot of concern for the passengers who will have to suffer through this.