Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Delta FF Miles (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/delta-ff-miles-590478/)

dannyyoung Feb 12th, 2006 12:16 PM

Delta FF Miles

Someone was telling me that a had better use my Delta FF miles quick ...I have 400k points and want to book flights this Summer for Europe useing my points for free tix...should I do what ever it takes and "burn" all my points or do you think Delta will honor points for a later use ??

Gardyloo Feb 12th, 2006 02:54 PM

1. No guarantees about anything in the airline biz.

2. AFAIK, no airline with a sizeable FF program has ever completely canceled the program outright. Even in "worst case" conditions you would have a period in which to use them. In many cases FF programs are profit centers among the airlines, even airlines in bankruptcy, so the motivation to cancel them is nil.

With 400K points I would look to one of DL's partners for "burning" them, rather than just DL. For example, first class on Singapore Airlines from JFK to Frankfurt at 100,000 miles is a steal - about as different from DL over the pond as you could get.

angellynn Feb 12th, 2006 03:12 PM

Sell your miles to a ticket broker. Look in your Sunday paper classified section under "tickets-travel". They are currently paying about $350.00 to $400.00 for each 25,000 miles you turn over to them.

rkkwan Feb 12th, 2006 03:33 PM

My cousins in Australia lost all their Ansett miles when that large airline folded. I don't know about Swissair and Sabena, but that might be the case as well.

All are major international airlines, but on US ones.

No one can tell you what may happen to Delta in half a year. It depends on whether the pilot will strike or not. If they do, then they'll be gone, just like Eastern. If people tell you they KNOW what will happen, they're lying.

dannyyoung Feb 12th, 2006 03:51 PM

I agree about the point of someone telling me they know what will happen.....they have no idea !!! I like the idea of using a partner airline...the reason I have so many points is I can NEVER get an upgrade/coach ticket using my points...I have tried ATL-Rome 9 month in advance for a 2 week period and they have NOTHING ?? Crazy ??

gail Feb 12th, 2006 05:24 PM

First - no guarantees. While not sizable, we lost quite a few points on Independence Air when they went belly-up.

The number of FF seats per flight is anywhere from zero on up - even if you try at the precise second they go on sale, there may not be seats on a specific flight or even route. While I have never tried, summer to Europe seems to elicit many complaints here. But with that many points, why not get a first or business class ticket to Europe with points - fewer restrictions on these.

Popolo Feb 13th, 2006 05:39 AM

Are these mileage brokers legal? AFAIK, the T&C of most FF programs do not allow the sale of points.

BeachBoi Feb 13th, 2006 05:42 AM

Popolo...Some people dont care about rules....The T/C clearly state they are not to be sol/bartered....But its done, just like drinking and driving, smoking pot and prostitution.....

angellynn Feb 13th, 2006 12:53 PM

Popolo,

Try using a mileage broker once and you will never go back to chasing FF seats. If the airlines were really wanting you not to sell them, don't you think they could easily shut these brokers down? The airlines exec's read the paper and know of the brokers.
Most of these brokers have been doing business for years.

Gardyloo Feb 13th, 2006 01:24 PM

I wouldn't do it for the math. I reckon I spent $0.025 per mile earning the d@mn things; selling them for $0.012 is a rotten deal.

OTOH, a 100K mi JFK-FRA first class RT reward on SQ (sticker price $8300 or so) makes them worth $0.083 each, which is a tidy profit. I think it would make it worth having some flexible travel dates.

angellynn Feb 13th, 2006 02:31 PM

Good luck on getting a seat using those miles, unless you like planning your trip 11 months out and flying at 3:00 in the morning.

dannyyoung Feb 13th, 2006 04:48 PM

esp with Delta .....