Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Delta FC Seats to Hawaii...recommendations? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/delta-fc-seats-to-hawaii-recommendations-392027/)

SRQRobin Jan 26th, 2004 03:55 PM

Delta FC Seats to Hawaii...recommendations?

My husband & I cashed in FF miles to fly FC on Delta to Honolulu (our 30th Anniversary). The plane is a 767-400 and it's a pretty long flight so we sprung for FC... but when I went to seatguru.com, they indicate that the seats don't really recline, etc. and give me the impression that the seats in FC aren't much bigger or better than coach. I don't care about the free booze, we are more interested in being able to sleep. I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who's flown this plane FC to Hawaii on Delta and can give insight into seat selection from their personal experience. Thanks!!!

AAFrequentFlyer Jan 26th, 2004 04:21 PM

Hi Robin,

Unfortunately Seatguru is correct. You will have some more room, but nothing to write home about. The Hawaii routes are being treated by most airlines as leisure routes, so the airlines try to pack them as much as possible. If you have ever seen a domestic F class, that's what it is. You will get nice service, food and drinks, but don't expect to stretch out too much. In most cases I compare domestic F to international business or in some cases believe it or not, economy plus, especially on leisure routes. I fly American and after couple of years of very frequent flying, I pick the planes instead of routes to get to my destination, which means on occasion I have an extra segment just to be more comfy. That is becoming the way of life for frequent flyers. I would follow Seatguru's suggestions as to which seats you should grab.

You will still be more comfortable as this is a looong flight, I would keep the booking.

Have a wonderful trip!!!

From another SRQer, Siesta Key beach bum :-)

wpcx2 Jan 27th, 2004 06:30 AM

The 767 is the worst airplane in the sky for front of the plane flyers - they are cramped and just awful. That said, get two aisle seats so one of you won't be stuck by the window (after 30 years do you need to be crammed up against hubby?) and with any luck, no one will sit next to you. I just flew to Munich on one of these beasts and everyone was fidgetty in business class.

AAFrequentFlyer Jan 27th, 2004 07:11 AM

wpcx2,

I hope you mean DELTA 767 is the worse, as not all 767s are created equal. On different airlines the 767 actually has a very nice front cabin. :-)

wpcx2 Jan 27th, 2004 02:52 PM

No, not just Delta. I've been in too many of the others not to have made this decision - they're just nasty planes that make everyone feel crowded. That is why I suggested she book two aisle seats so maybe, just maybe, no one gets stuck by the window. I'd rather fly a 737 any day of the week than a 767.

AAFrequentFlyer Jan 27th, 2004 03:54 PM

I think you're comfusing 2 different planes. The 767 is a wide-body with 2-2-2 sitting up front. So the OP could actually get the center seats, still sitting next to each other and both having aisle seats.
The 767s on AA are configured 2 different ways. There are still some 3 class, but even the 2 class has a GREAT front cabin. the seats have 60" pitch, the seats are close to almost flat when one wants to sleep, etc...etc...
I believe you're thinking of the 757. That's the narrow body(1 aisle) coffin plane. Personally I hate these planes even on my favorite airline. The F on the AA 757 has the same type of seats and space as the Delta 767-400.
Sorry but you're wrong on this.

wpcx2 Jan 28th, 2004 09:02 AM

Not to belabor a point but as nasty as a 757 is, the 767 is worse. I just got back from Atlantic-Munich and it was a 767. Frankfurt to Atlanta was a nice 777. Part of the problem with all modern cabins is all that electrical/mechanical crap that they put between the seats. In the good old days, the center consoles could be removed and you could really spread out even if you were seated next to someone else (of a like-mind, of course). Just give me lots of room, let me be able to put my legs up and be quiet. After 50+ years of international travel/living, I am pretty set in my ways as you can see!!! But the best ever were the upstairs first class seats on any 747 - gone but not forgotten!!!

Cherski Jan 28th, 2004 09:37 AM

I'm not sure if this link will work:

http://www.frommers.com/cgi-bin/[email protected]^[email protected]

Frommers Airline Forum ... Poor Service on Delta.

You might even want to contact the original poster. Clearly he has some first-hand knowledge.

AAFrequentFlyer Jan 28th, 2004 10:08 AM

wpcx2,

It seems to me you're going back and forth with this debate. I started saying that Delta 767 does not have a nice front cabin. You made a statement that 767s are the worst planes. I came back saying that not all 767s are made equal. Other airlines do have a nice, comfortable front cabin on a 767. You contradicted me, saying it's not Delta only, it's all 767, so finally when I gave you some stats to prove otherwise, you are going back to Delta plane (I assume that from your routing). Again, NOT all 767s are made equal. If you can't understand that, than I guess this debate is useless.

Also, The 747 is alive and well. Two US based airlines still run them on many international routes, NW and UA. Many, many international airlines(Lufthansa,British,Air France,Cathay,Singapore,Japan,Qantas and I could go on and on) run them all over the world. Boeing still has open orders for many more to come. I personally will be on 2 of them in few weeks. Fortunately I will be sitting in F on a very long route. They are beautiful planes, and they are not forgotten.

wpcx2 Jan 29th, 2004 02:09 PM

AA-no need to get defensive about 767s. Do you know people who hate snakes whether they are tiny garden snakes or big, scary anacondas? Well, the same anaology applies to me and the 767. So, I'm glad you've had nice experiences in them but I choose to avoid them whenever possible.
As to 747s, of course I know they are everywhere - I was referring to the long ago versions which had cushy seats like a well used barcolounger - these new sleeper seats have so much mechanical stuff in them that they aren't all that squishy.
Enough already. Let poor SRQ Robin enjoy the islands without having to suffer the opinions of folks like us who fly WAY too much and have much different expectations (remember, there are still people out there who like to fly and look forward to it!). Part of being an expat is spending too much time on planes flying over oceans so becoming jaded is par for the course.
Bye, bye. Happy contrails.