Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Delta Economy Comfort - JNB to ATL (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/delta-economy-comfort-jnb-to-atl-940293/)

twosassyk Jun 24th, 2012 06:53 AM

Delta Economy Comfort - JNB to ATL

I previously wrote up a trip review regarding a coach seat from Atlanta to Johannesburg, this is the trip report on the return flight in Economy Comfort.
I had seat 31F which is the bulk head /first row of seats in Economy Comfort on Delta's 777 aircraft. The seat configuration is 3-3-3 for economy comfort and regular coach class. Economy comfort is advertised as having up to 4" of additional leg room and a 50% recline over traditional coach seating.
Due to being in the bulk head row the entertainment system was in an arm that raised out of the side /bottom of the arm rest. There was plenty of leg room - I am 5'6" and could only reach the bulkhead wall with the tips of my toes so if you are tall this would be the best row of the non -business class seats for the leg room.
The seats did recline a fair amount more than the regular coach seat but there is still nothing at all at the foot level to raise your feet or legs up off the floor at all. This flight as well as all others that I checked in a 3 week period did not have one single seat open in any class or service, so there was zero chance of snagging an open seat space beside you....
Again as on the flight over the food was very good for airplane food, always with 2 or 3 options. Dinner is served about an hour into the flight. The options were a South Africa chicken with seasoned rice or beef. I am a very pickey eater and the chicken was not spicy and had a great flavor. It was served with a fruit cup, a dinner roll and a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. All classes of service have free beer, wine, soft drinks, etc.
Around midnight a snack service is given - this particular flight we had a banana, a chocolate chip muffin and a mini roll with cheese and tomatoe on it along with the beverage of your choice. There is service for water / drinks offered throughout the flight and snacks were out fo the taking in the galley area non during snack / meal times.
The entertainment center offers free movies, tv shows, games, trivia of your choice throughout the flight as well as an interactive flight map.
I would pay the additional $160 again for Economy Comfort if I took this flight again, but FYI it's no where near the level of business class but on a 16 hr flight ANY comfort over the seat dimensions of a regular coach seat is worth it to me.

Femi Jun 24th, 2012 05:11 PM

Thanks for the report!

gigib Jun 29th, 2012 10:56 AM

Was the $160 per round trip ticket, or each way?

matnikstym Jun 29th, 2012 08:45 PM

I've flown to JNB 6 times in economy and I'd certainly pay that much for some extra room. Thanks for the report!