Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Delta cancelled my flight from Aruba to JFK and put me on a flight to ATL and then on to JFK that does not connect to Albany until the next day. What are my rights? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/delta-cancelled-my-flight-from-aruba-to-jfk-and-put-me-on-a-flight-to-atl-and-then-on-to-jfk-that-does-not-connect-to-albany-until-the-next-day-what-are-my-rights-389440/)

shirleyk Jul 5th, 2008 09:52 AM

Delta cancelled my flight from Aruba to JFK and put me on a flight to ATL and then on to JFK that does not connect to Albany until the next day. What are my rights?

Can someone please tell me what my rights are. I purchased tickets on Delta. From Aruba I was suppose to fly to JFK, then on the ALBANY, NY on the same day. Delta cancelled the JFK flight from Aruba, put me on a flight to Atlanta, then on to JFK, but it doesn't connect to ALBANY until the next day. I must have some recourse, but what? Put me on another airline that gets me home the same day, or pay for my overnight stay - something.

johnwm Jul 5th, 2008 10:08 AM

That sounds not so good, shirleyk!

You did not mention whether this change is for current travel or for future travel.

Could you perhaps research some other Delta flights home? Usually, it is possible to find a different, better connection on one's own. Then, you could contact Delta and ask to be put on the flights you've identified as suitable rather than accepting whatever they put together for you.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out for you!

shirleyk Jul 5th, 2008 10:28 AM

This flight is for travel in May, 2009. I did find same day connections but not on Delta, they are on another airline. Would they put me on another airline? Just want to know my rights.

AAFrequentFlyer Jul 5th, 2008 10:36 AM

1. Accept the schedule change
2. If possible ask Delta to work out a better option, if available (and NO, they won't put you on another airline)
3. Get a full refund and start from scratch.

No airline guarantees a schedule.

shirleyk Jul 5th, 2008 12:35 PM

OK, if I accept their new schedule, I will have to stay overnight at JFK and get my flight to Albany the next afternoon. There is no morning flight. Can I get them to pay for my overnight hotel stay and a few meals?

Andrew Jul 5th, 2008 12:59 PM

No, I'm fairly sure they will not pay for your hotel. Basically, you can call them and ask for a better routing that doesn't include an overnight at JFK.

If there isn't one, I'd just get my money back and start over. Since your flight isn't for 10 months, I don't see much harm, really. You thought you had a decent deal with Delta but apparently not. Start over.

janisj Jul 5th, 2008 02:21 PM

Heck - the schedule may change several more times in the next 10 months.

Just call and see what they'll do to re-route you. If there isn't a good option, get a refund and go back to square 1.

copain1 Jul 5th, 2008 03:05 PM

In 10 months, you may not have any service to Albany on any airline. Do you have access to a train?

I don't believe they will pay for a hotel.

amaria Jul 7th, 2008 05:26 AM

We are going to Aruba in October via Jet Blue from Rochester, NY to JFK to Aruba. You might want to look into cancelling Delta and booking on Jet Blue

tcreath Jul 7th, 2008 07:20 AM

We had a flight change on AA a few years back. We were flying ORD to Heathrow and then doing a switch to Gatwick to catch our flight to Dubrovnik. The flight changed, and we would not have had enough time to make the connection. I called AA and talked to the flight attendant at length. Basically due to the flight times, we were forced to stay a night in London going over, leaving a day earlier than planned, if we wanted to keep our original flight. They do not pay for a hotel but offered us a complete refund if we wanted to rebook the flights.

Tracy

John_T_Cuttino Jul 7th, 2008 10:51 AM

Let me get this straight, you are "stranded" at JFK?
Rent a car at JFK and drive to Albany. What is it, 2 hrs?

FainaAgain Jul 8th, 2008 02:01 PM

What is it about flights out of Aruba? My co-worker didn't show up on Monday as his flight got cancelled, and he spent another night in a hotel, paid by United.