Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

delta business Elite class to Euro or Air France Business

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

comparable pricing on both-have flown elite before and found it great. Hows AF business?? Am I nuts to ask such a thing??
Wife says take the elite and run...
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 09:37 AM

Where are you flying to and from?

First I'd try to determine if the AF aircraft you'll be flying on will have the new business class cabin or not. AF is in the process of retrofitting their premium class cabins but there have been many delays due to, from I could gather, delivery issues with the seat manufacturer. If new business class seats, I'd might give it a try. If old seats, I would pass (with 48" seat pitch they feel kind of cramped). On top of that, AF now has an "intermediate" version aircraft outfitted with old seats but expanded seat pitch. You can check this thread on flyertalk to see if there's any indication of what the current status is on your route: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=18562

The major issue people seem to have with DL BE is the narrow seat width. Since you've flown BE and found it great, I'm assuming you don't have a problem with the seat width. I flew both AF (old business class) and DL in Jan/Feb and found DL BE a better experience in every aspect - seats, service, meals, etc. Here's a link to my review if you want to read the details: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...=Patty&fid=126

Another consideration is whether one carrier offers more direct service than the other. Without knowing your origin and destination, it's hard to compare.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 09:38 AM

OK that link didn't work, try this one:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...6&tid=34565192
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

thx for the reply! going out of ATL and return thru CIN I also get use of Delta's Elite areas no charge...thats a plus with a few hours layover each way. BTway-it's June from ATL to BCN (Barcelona) and then Rome to CIN. And I would be pissy to have them (AF)switch craft on me and be in a smaller seat.Both AF and DE are about the same in price...

I dont remember the seat width being too bad but for $2400pp...I think I can deal with it, no?Even the Delta guy was amazed at the rate.He said it should be in the $5000pp range.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 10:26 AM

Don't know about which plane has what seats, but of the two AF's ATL-CDG flights in June, the early one is 340, the latter one a 777 (probably the brand new 777-300ER). Also, be aware that the two DL flights also have AF's flight code-share flight numbers on them.

Since flying AF means a transit in CDG, while DL flies non-stop ATL-BCN, I would definitely take DL.

And by CIN, do you mean Cincinnati (CVG)? I don't think Air France flies to CVG. They only code-share on DL's 777 service between CVG-CDG.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 12:30 PM

As rkkwan said, being able to fly direct to BCN and back from FCO on DL would be a plus over having to connect through CDG. I still don't know what airport you're originating from, but if it's a case of having 2 connections on AF versus one connection on DL, then there's no contest, go with DL. Also if you fly AF, your CDG-BCN, FCO-CDG flights, although short, will be intra-European business which usually means it's just an economy seat with the middle seat blocked.

$2400 is the discounted I class fare which comes with some restrictions like advance purchase, min/max stay, and change penalties. Meeting these requirements isn't usually a problem for most leisure travelers who are able to plan ahead and aren't staying for just one night
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

exactly to both of you-we had to connect twice with AF-as you stated-and DE is straight in,from there it's a puddle jump to get home So, given the route-=even tho the new jets tempting (with my luck they would change equip) we purchased the rest. fare today. We plan no changes unless it's an emergency. Thanks again for the help!