Delta airlines at Gatewick Airport in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a round trip ticket from New York to Gatewick on Delta. Upon arrival at Gatewick I have a round trip ticket on another airline to Estonia. What if my return flight from Estonia to Gatewick is late and I miss my Delta flight? Will Delta put me on the next flight or would I be considered a "no show" and have to purchase a new ticket? Does anyone have any suggestions about making these connections as smooth as possible? Can one buy insurance for this type of problem?
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 08:41 AM

Since you have two separate tickets, Delta has no obligation to accommodate you if you don't show up for your flight because your first flight is late. What they will likely do is allow you to standby for later flights, but that won't guarantee you a seat. Just hope that flight is ontime!
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 11:59 AM

www.mytravelrights.com/240.cfm?keyword=delta

< If your flight is delayed, cancelled, or you miss a connection to a Delta Air Lines flight due to a Force Majeure Event (and this includes weather), Delta Air Lines' only obligation is to refund your ticket. Delta Air Lines will probably try to reroute you to an alternate flight, but according to Rule 240, they are not required to do this. >

PS it's GATWICK
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 01:04 PM

huh???

The OP is traveling on 2 different tickets......

If what you say is true and I decide not to fly on my non-refundable ticket, then all I have to do is show up late and get my money back...huh?????

Delta could care less why you were late, family trouble, car trouble, a delayed flight on some other airline.....

The only time you are fully protected is when the entire itninerary is on one ticket.

That said, the airlines are somewhat sympathetic to "I'm late" stories, especially from a person that is asking, not demanding, and in most cases they will work with you, but it may cost you extra or in some cases as in very busyu season it may cost you a new ticket. The first reply was correct, ignore the second. It has nothing to do with your situation.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on how to protect myself?
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 03:25 AM

AAFrequentFlyer - refund = whatever the refund value of the ticket is. In the case of a non-refundable ticket that's zero, nothing, nada
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 07:53 AM

There's not much you can do to protect yourself if you've already bought the tickets. Just wear comfortable running shoes and hope you don't need them!

For future reference, the best protection is to always book your trip on one ticket. If it's different airlines, travel agents are able to put them on one ticket (for the most part). That will give you protection. If that isn't an option, just add extra padding in between your two flights. The more connection time you have, the better chance you have of making it.

And I agree with AAFrequentFlyer that the second reply doesn't apply here. That link is in regards to rule 240 - it refers to if Delta cancels or delays your flight or if you misconnect between two Delta flights. Since you are on two separate tickets, neither airline would consider you to have a connecting flight.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I could not combine the tickets. I got a phenominal deal on Delta Airlines (Albany, NY to Gatwick, London) for $366! From Gatwick I plan on taking a cheap flight on Estonia Air to Tallinn. Hope it works out.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 05:33 PM

You can call Dela and ask that they add the information about your Estonian flight in a comment on your PNR (the record in their reservation system, which has an area for text notes) even if they cannot actually link the flights. That is not a guarantee, but it can help if you do run into trouble later.