Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Delta adds checked bag fee (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/delta-adds-checked-bag-fee-450125/)

ccolor Nov 6th, 2008 04:29 AM

Delta adds checked bag fee

I guess it was just a matter of time, but with gas being so much cheaper now I have to wonder what the logic is behind the new fee. I guess it's nice that it's a pretty cheap amount, but it's still annoying.

travelgourmet Nov 6th, 2008 04:46 AM

This was done as part of an alignment of fees with Northwest. Other fees - prominently the fuel surcharge for award tickets - went away, so there was good and bad to this announcement.

hpeabody Nov 6th, 2008 11:25 AM

And...... they also are tacking $$$$ on to get a "choice" coach seat. And that is only within 24 hours at check-in.

Funny, In the email they make it seem like a good thing, Pffffft

travelgourmet Nov 6th, 2008 11:32 AM

<i>
Funny, In the email they make it seem like a good thing, Pffffft</i>

Those that book last-minute (and pay top-dollar for the privilege) would disagree with you.

kswl Nov 9th, 2008 09:06 AM

We got Delta's email about the choice seat surcharge and I thought the spin they put on this announcement was absurd. We continue to avoid Delta whenever possible (not easy since our nearest airport is Atlanta), and I recently booked flights out west on Frontier, which has a $25/ per bag fee but more comfortable airplanes.

ccolor Nov 9th, 2008 11:45 AM

I hate to seem stupid, but what does a &quot;choice seat&quot; consist of - Is that what they consider exit row seats now, maybe?

rkkwan Nov 9th, 2008 12:19 PM

I assume DL is just following NW's practice. It means certain exit row, bulkhead, and some aisle seats near the front. Basically seats that some frequent flyers feel they're a bit more comfortable and is worth paying for.

But do not listen some of the hate posts in this or other forums that suggest it means all aisle seats or all great seats. That is simply not true. And sometimes, there are some particularly good seats that they don't block off as choice seats. For example, NW's 63BCHJ on their 747-400. Those are some of the best seats on the plane, yet, they're not choice seats, while rows 64-66 are. I sat in Row 63 for 3 of my 4 legs across the Pacific in August, without paying an extra dime.

kswl Nov 9th, 2008 02:37 PM

ccolor, yes the exit row seats are now considered &quot;choice,&quot; along with certain seats that have more room (length or width) due to the configuration of stored equipment (at least, on the plane that's what it looks like).

If you've been to seatguru.com and seen the more desirable seats on each plane, those are the exact seats you now pay more for as &quot;choice.&quot;

travelgourmet Nov 9th, 2008 09:47 PM

<i>ccolor, yes the exit row seats are now considered &quot;choice,&quot;</i>

Not exactly. Some of the exit rows are elite seats and not part of the choice seats program.

ccolor Nov 10th, 2008 06:50 AM

Ok thanks, I think I have the general idea about choice seats. Luckily that's not on the priority list so I guess we'll save a couple dollars and ignore that fee.