Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Delta 767 from Atlanta to Madrid, Do recliner seats stink?

Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has flown on Delta's 757-200 or 767 to Europe in business class? I have flown biz class on Continental, Air France and Northwest, all had lie flat seats. I see that Delta currently only has recliner seats (they get flat seats on some planes next year). Can someone tell me their experiences with this aircraft and how you thought the recliner seat was vs. the lie flat seat? My husband doesn't like the lie flat seats for sleeping anyway, but I usually find that the planes that have them are much nicer and more spacious inside. Any thoughts?
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 05:30 AM

I prefer the Northwest and Air France seats to Delta, but the Delta seat is pretty decent. Pretty comparable to the CO seats on the 767 and the 757 (haven't flown the CO 777 in J).

Aside from the recliner issue, some don't like the width, which is only 18.5". I am decent-sized and it didn't bother me, but you notice at first. Otherwise, I don't think the cabin feels any less spacious than the widebodies on Northwest and Air France. It beats a CO 757. The seat pitch is 60", which is competitive and feels much less restricting than the 55" on CO.

Beyond the cabin, the rest of the product is pretty good. I would say DL has (much) better food than any of the others you mentioned. The pillows and blankets are really nice as well. The wines are comparable and the booze selection is significantly better than the others. Service is friendly and quite good (AF is the worst on this point).
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! I've been reading that Delta has the best business class product, at least they were voted so recently, which is surprising to me considering the antiquated seats. I must say that AF's new seats are quite posh but the food was nothing short of disgusting, save the wine and cheese. Continental's food on the 777 is magnificent. So I guess I'd rather get a decent meal than try to sleep on an angled bed where you keep sliding down! I just wish the seats didn't look so old, even on Delta's website the seats look like dinasours and that's their own marketing photo! Thanks for the info again!
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 06:06 AM

Flat bed seats are only on Delta's 777LR (think Shanghai,Mumbai,etc.) for right now but things are supposed to be changing on other equipment in the next year.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 06:10 AM

I must say that AF's new seats are quite posh but the food was nothing short of disgusting, save the wine and cheese.

My sentiments, exactly. I was decidedly underwhelmed by the food on AF. But the seat is a really nice seat and might be the best lie-flat (not flat-bed) seat I have been in.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 07:58 AM

Just want to say that Continental doesn't have lie-flat seats on any of their planes right now. What you sat on Continental is a cradle/recliner seat.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Rkkwan: Actually that's incorrect, Continental definitely has lie-flat seats, I flown CO 5 times in lie-flat seats.

Perhaps you are misunderstanding the terminology?

"Lie Flat" seats are not the flat bed seats in international first class. They are 170-180 degree recline. Recliner seats still have a bend in the leg and do not lie flat. Continental definitely does not have recliners on the 777-300ER, they are lie-flat seats.

Here is CO's 777-200, note the description at the top, "lie flat seats"

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Con...ng_777-200.php

Definitions of the different seats:

Recliner Seats: These seats do not offer the significant recline of the Lie-flat and Flat Bed Seats, but still offer excellent space and comfort.

Lie-Flat Seats: While airlines often market these seats as having 180 degrees of recline, in their fully reclined position they are slightly angled and do not lay completely horizontal. Passengers often find these seats to be extremely comfortable for relaxing and working, but not conducive to sleep when in the fully reclined position because of the awkward angle.

Flat Bed Seats: When fully reclined, these seats are completely horizontal, creating a bed that is fully flat. These seats always receive high accolades for being comfortable both as seats and beds.

Suites: These seats offer the utmost in privacy and comfort. Each suite is essentially its own mini-cabin which includes a fully-flat bed, work station and television.

http://www.seatguru.com/charts/business_class.php
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Sorry that link didn't work here's CO's map http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Con...ng_777-200.php
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 11:13 AM

I fly CO all the time. The 777 seats on CO is not lie-flat. Let me repeat, NOT lie-flat, despite what CO's marketing team want you to believe. Yes, I've flown in it, and my mom flies in it all the time.

Lie-flat has to be flat. CO's 777 seat come close, but it is not flat.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

You are incorrect. This is not Continental's marketing this is the airline industry's definition.

You do not know the proper terminology. You are confusing totally flat first class seats with flat/angled business class seats.

Here is the INDUSTRY DEFINITION:

LIE FLAT SEATS: While airlines often market these seats as having 180 degrees of recline, in their fully reclined position they are slightly angled and do not lay completely horizontal. Passengers often find these seats to be extremely comfortable for relaxing and working, but not conducive to sleep when in the fully reclined position because of the awkward angle.

FLAT BED SEATS: When fully reclined, these seats are completely horizontal, creating a bed that is fully flat. These seats always receive high accolades for being comfortable both as seats and beds.

If you click on this link and scroll down to continental you will see that they have angled lie flat seats.

http://www.flatseats.com/Reviews/A-Z-Business.htm

Old Dec 4th, 2008, 11:18 AM

BTW, there are plenty of errors on seatguru. One cannot just accept everything there.

In fact, Continental itself call its seats "near flat 170-degree":

http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...first/777.aspx

But anyways, if that's "flat enough" for you, that's fine. But that seat does not fit the definition of "lie-flat".
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 11:19 AM

You can believe what you believe. But I am correct, and you are not. You can also check how many posts I have about Continental I have posted on this forum.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, which is about DL.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 11:20 AM

BTW, I am totally clear about the terminology. And so do you.

But do you don't know about Continental's seat. That's the question. Not about terminology.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

So you are saying that the link I posted, the 3 links I posted above are lies? Misinformation?

Perhaps it's the case that it's YOUR interpretation of how the seat feels to YOU. It's clearly in black and white print on a variety of websites that these are angled lie flat seats. This sounds like your own subjective opinion of the seats.

Your point has been noted. Now hopefully there is someone else who can contribute some real information to the thread regarding the seats on Delta's 767 in business class.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 11:25 AM

Any website that says CO's 777 have "lie-flat" seats are incorrect. Period.

YOU quote it yourself. It has to be 180-degrees.

Did YOU look at Continental's picture and description of that seat?

How can "near-flat 170 degrees" equal 180-degree?

170 = 180??? Huh?

Give me a freaking break.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Lie flat seats range from 150-180 degrees. There are a variety of lie flat seats.

Please take special notice Rkkwan:

I DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOUR "OPINION" ESPECIALLY SINCE IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY QUESTION. IN ADDITION TO HAVING NOTHING TO DO WITH MY ORIGINAL QUESTION, YOUR INFORMATION IS PARTIAL, FLAWED AND NARROW THEREFORE IT IS NOT USEFUL TO ME. YOU ARE NOT CONTRIBUTING ANYTHING POSITIVE TO THE SPIRIT OF THIS FORUM BUT RATHER YOU ONLY CONTRIBUTE HOSTILITY AND NEGATIVITY.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Additionally, if you are so sorry that you hi-jacked my thread then GET OFF OF IT and let others have a chance to contribute.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 11:52 AM

Others can read this thread and decide who's being negative here and/or who started the negativity.

I highly invite anybody to click on my screen name or search my screen name "rkkwan" and see what I've contributed to this forum over the years.

But before I finish with this thread, I do want to explain to others why I post in this thread in the first place. It's because some others may read your post and assume CO have a 180-degree lie-flat seat when they decide on flying them. And that's a seat they will not find on CO right now.

It's a public forum. While of course the main purpose of this thread is to learn about DL's seat, when I see some wrong or misleading information posted here, I cannot not comment on it.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 11:54 AM

So, yes I hijack your thread. I posted a short 2-line comment. But you are the one who posted all the definition.

But I promise, if you start a new thread to ask about DL and if you don't mention CO's BF seat, I will not talk about that there.
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

"Others can read this thread and decide who's being negative here and/or who started the negativity."

Yes, thankfully this is true.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -