Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Delta 757-200 to Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/delta-757-200-to-europe-783607/)

grandmere May 8th, 2009 07:47 PM

Delta 757-200 to Europe?

Non-stop PIT-CDG on Delta is beginning here on 6/3, and I'm thinking of booking a flight for my husband and me for Oct. Has anyone flown this aircraft to Europe? I'm wondering how it compares to Airbus 300, which we generally take thru PHL on USAirways but are looking forward to a non-stop, which we have not had here in Pgh. for a long time. I know it won't have individual monitors, but I don't care about that; most important is the pitch and seat width. I looked on Seatguru but the configuration looks a bit different from the one on the Delta site.

Thank you!

Cali May 8th, 2009 10:21 PM

I haven't been on a 757 for any airline that even comes close to the comfort of the Airbus 300. I avoid 757's if at all possible even for a short flight.

rkkwan May 9th, 2009 07:12 AM

Small correction... the USAirways aircraft is a Airbus 330, not 300.

Looking at the seatmap on DL's website, it is operated with an ex-TWA/ex-AA 757 with the standard 3rd doors and no over-wing exits. According to seatguru, these have AVOD in every seat.

Pitch is basically standard 757 stuff, 31". And width is the same on all narrowbody Boeings, 17.2".

grandmere May 9th, 2009 12:11 PM

Yes, it is Airbus 330, which has pitch of 31", 17.2 width, also. Flew it RT PIT-CDG two weeks ago, and whereas it's a nice aircraft with individual monitors,etc., it was none too comfy in coach. I think they have added more rows from when it first came out years ago; seems like it is more crowded each time I fly it.

The appeal of the Delta flight is the non-stop aspect, and that's a biggee!

Decisions, decisions!

Thanks; any other opinions?

rkkwan May 9th, 2009 12:26 PM

To me, definitely take the non-stop. No hassle with transferring and save the time.

andrews98682 May 9th, 2009 03:41 PM

I say take the nonstop, especially if it has the AVOD.

grandmere May 9th, 2009 05:08 PM

Yep, I think I will book the Delta flights before they disappear; they are about $50 less than a couple of days ago.
Thank you, again.

Momliz May 9th, 2009 05:34 PM

757 is 20 - 30 year old design, single aisle, whereas the A330 is a newer design with a twin aisle, and all the improvements that the last couple of decades can provide.

That said, I don't know - kayak has the non stop $10 cheaper. I rarely watch the movies, preferring to sleep, or read. But, I do like to be comfortable. For me this would come down to where I have most of my miles (Delta), and which flights leave and get in at the most convenient times.

grandmere May 9th, 2009 07:40 PM

Coach on the A330 is not exactly comfy; I guess I'll find out how less comfortable the 757 is. How much worse could it be with the same seat width and pitch? Changing planes in PHL adds hours to the trip, and the thought of a non-stop is very appealing.

rkkwan May 9th, 2009 08:10 PM

How does when a plane is designed have to anything? Boeing narrowbodies have basically same fuselage profile of the 707s from the late 60's, while Airbus widebodies date back to the original A300 from the early 70's. But that means nothing.

Anyways, a widebody 2-4-2 seating is definitely more comfortable than a 3-3 on a narrowbody. Especially when flight is full. Even though pitch and seat width maybe the same. But not enough to go with a connection.

rkkwan May 9th, 2009 08:11 PM

Sorry, I should say late 50's for the 707.

grandmere May 9th, 2009 08:30 PM

rkkwan, is the 757 held together with duct tape as you say the USAirways 767 is?
Getting to be too many variables in this decision! :-)

rkkwan May 9th, 2009 08:34 PM

No, DL 757s are not held together by duct tapes.

andrews98682 May 9th, 2009 11:30 PM

They use Elmer's glue instead, right?

J62 May 10th, 2009 04:05 AM

The 757 is a perfectly fine plane and is a workhorse in may airline fleets with 1000's of flights daily.

I don't particularly like the 757 for long distance flights since it is a smaller cabin with 3-3 seating as described by others. I also find that the 757 isn't as smooth as ride as any of the bigger 2 aisle planes.

That said, I'd always pick a non-stop flight given the choice, even in a 757.

grandmere May 13th, 2009 06:52 PM

Not sure why, but I kept putting off booking the Delta flights, and when I looked tonight, the fare has dropped to $607 so we are now booked for Oct. Thanks for all the input; the non-stop should be great.

MomDDTravel May 15th, 2009 02:27 PM

Wow! Great fare - enjoy your trip!

naneiben May 17th, 2009 10:51 AM

Grandmere,
Quite a coincidence. After much soul searching and way more time to waste on the internet than I have, I finally bit the bullet and booked the non-stop from PIT to CDG today. I leave Sept 28. Not wild about Delta or the 757, but the nonstop aspect is what sold me. Bon voyage to you--maybe I'll see you there.

cocacola May 19th, 2009 12:43 PM

One more thing to be aware of; according to this map - http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/414/De...8-PIT-CDG-805/ - it looks like only the first 10 or so rows of coach have a powerport. Might not be important to you, but on a long non-stop I tend to need power for my video player.

grandmere May 20th, 2009 06:57 AM

Naneiben, I just now saw your post after the reference on Europe forum; it will be interesting to see how all of us like this Delta service to CDG from PIT! I wish I could have waited to book until after June 3 (when the service begins) to see what others have to say, but was afraid to wait for fear the fare would jump up again. Bon voyage to you, also.

Thanks, Cocacola, for the heads up.