Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Customs at Atlanta or Orlando? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/customs-at-atlanta-or-orlando-1711246/)

scifihire4674 Nov 13th, 2022 09:49 AM

Customs at Atlanta or Orlando?

Evening all, just looking for a little help here.

I've not travelled to the US for a long time and can't remember the process (of if it's changed). I'm from the UK and travelling to Orlando in August next year. There is a stop off in Atlanta for 2.5hrs and I'm wondering if I will make the connecting flight to Orlando in that time. Will we go through customs at Atlanta or Orlando? I'm assuming Atlanta but just want to be sure. I know it's not an exact science and it depends on how busy it will be etc but would 2.5hrs usually be enough time?

RoamsAround Nov 13th, 2022 12:11 PM

You will clear Immigrations and Customs in Atlanta. In my experience a 2.5 hour connection time is very doable.

scifihire4674 Nov 13th, 2022 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by RoamsAround (Post 17413692)
You will clear Immigrations and Customs in Atlanta. In my experience a 2.5 hour connection time is very doable.

Great stuff, hopefully that's the case then! Thanks for the reply and advice.

P_M Nov 13th, 2022 02:51 PM

I also think you'll make your flight from Atlanta to Orlando, but if there's a delay and you miss it, they will rebook you on a later flight at no charge. I've been down this road more than once and rebooking due to a flight or customs delay was never a problem. Enjoy your time in the US.

janisj Nov 13th, 2022 07:06 PM

Welcome to Fodors. There are lots of flights from ATL to MCO so even if your arrival in to Atlanta id delayed, you'll be fine.

scifihire4674 Nov 14th, 2022 05:17 AM

Great stuff - thanks all for the advice. I'm potentially (and maybe correctly) overthinking it. I've had to get a visa rather than an ESTA so I'm expecting an extra toasting on arrival..

balthy Nov 17th, 2022 04:29 PM

There are lots of direct non stop flights from the UK to Orlando, why would anyone pick flights via Atlanta? Are you not going from London or Manchester? Its for next August, there must be plenty of choice. Best to avoid anything that involves a connection in the US, esp for non US travellers. Most posters who are saying it is ok are US passport holders so it will be ok for them but if you are a UK passport holder you have a much longer process to get through immigration. A potential nightmare if you have checked luggage as well. Is this a VS/DL connection?

scifihire4674 Nov 17th, 2022 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by balthy (Post 17414616)
There are lots of direct non stop flights from the UK to Orlando, why would anyone pick flights via Atlanta? Are you not going from London or Manchester? Its for next August, there must be plenty of choice. Best to avoid anything that involves a connection in the US, esp for non US travellers. Most posters who are saying it is ok are US passport holders so it will be ok for them but if you are a UK passport holder you have a much longer process to get through immigration. A potential nightmare if you have checked luggage as well. Is this a VS/DL connection?

Thanks for the reply, although it's not helpful at all.

​We are obviously trying to save costs by not going direct. It's not exactly a cheap holiday, especially in this day and age. This is why I'm asking about the timings of a non-direct flights and connections. I'm fully aware of the choice and direct flight option, thanks for pointing that out though...

mrwunrfl Nov 18th, 2022 01:46 PM

Maybe not interested but I will throw this out there: Global Entry for UK Citizens | U.S. Customs and Border Protection (cbp.gov)

I recently used Global Entry and the new process is even easier and painliess than it was three years ago.