Cost of Business class ticket to Europe

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 08:14 AM
SRS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost of Business class ticket to Europe

This is perhaps a naive question, and I have searched the boards for answers and found some , but not just percisely what I am looking for.

DH and I usually fly coach to Europe. But this summer, I may (hopefully) be pregnant and so we are thinking about booking business class seats instead. We'll be going in August to Italy from NYC.

What would be a good price to pay? I really just don't know. I see lots of fares that look high and then some that look pretty good, but I don't know what good is so I may be seeing a steal or something normal and not even know it.

For example, I know that if I found a ticket on coach for under $500 in August, that would be amazing. And I think that anything under $800 is pretty fair. And if I were flying coach I would probably pay up to $1000 or perhaps $1100 depending. Anything over $1500 would not be much of a good price imo.

Can you give me a similar anaylsis re business class.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Sally
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 08:14 AM
SRS
Original Poster

I am also going to post this on the Europe board just in case...
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 08:28 AM

If you are going to be in NYC for the flight, there are several airlines that fly to Paris and the London area from NYC. Prices start at around $1,000 each way. Otherwise, business class tickets usually run around $2,500 to $4,000 round trip.

Beware that not all business class seats are the same. Check www.seatguru.com for differences.

Go to www.kayak.com and type in your dates to see the prices. Select business class.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 09:30 AM

Some airlines may have business class fare sale during the summer, when it's low season for business class. For example, Continental Airlines have run them for the last 2-3 years.

From Newark, you should get roundtrip fares around $2,000.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 09:33 AM

Also, if you don't want to spend that much, or if you can't find good fares, consider flying premium economy. Airlines like British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and SAS have them. Usually run about $300 above regular economy for a roundtrip.

Also keep an eye on the all-business class airlines like Maxjet, L'Avion and Silverjet. They may also run summer special too. But you'll need to connect in London or Paris to Italy.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 09:38 AM
SRS
Original Poster

This is so helpful. I will keep checking every day. So far the best I've seen is about $3000. $2000 would be fantastic!

Thanks again!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Italy is more difficult than other destinations. Maybe check for London or Paris, and then buy a separate ticket for the short 2-hour flight to Italy.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:09 AM

Not sure if it's a good idea to connect through London these days. Personaly I try to avoid it like a plaque now, and I used to love connecting through there. Just too many "different" regulations, depending where you're flying from/to, etc.etc.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:29 AM
SRS
Original Poster

So far I have mainly focused on the nonstops into Milan and out of Rome, so that has limited by search a bit, but I have found around $3000.

When I add connections, the prices fall to $2500 but often there is something a little odd about the flights. Like the connection is super long (Emirates) or it's an airline that I'm not too familiar with (Tap Portugal) or an airline that I don't love in coach (Iberia).

Hopefully, I am on the right track....
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:36 AM

You can do Business Class on Iberia,change planes in Madrid in both direction...$2,573.10 all in....Special advance purchase Business Class "Business Excursion"..
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:51 AM
SRS
Original Poster

BeachBoi,

I believe I saw that fare. How is Iberia in business. Our worst two flights ever were on them in coach and we swore never again. Maybe we just had bad luck?! Obviously business would be better, but have you flown them in business?
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:55 AM

SRS......Have not flown Iberia BC...My TA sends a gazillion business travellers to Europe and most take this route and really like it.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:58 AM
SRS
Original Poster

BeachBoi - Thank you. That is a really great endorsement - we are fairly happy people. If others wounldn't complain, it is likely we wouldn't either. They have the best price too....
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 01:03 PM

We booked business class tix on Delta through Orbitz with great times and connections to Milan for a tad over $2600. The Delta site was selling the same tix for over $6000.(Get real!)
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Business class on Iberia is quite acceptable - I like their flat "almost level" seats; nice and wide and good audio/visual programs too. Catering and service blows hot and cold, but generally better than most US carriers on comparable routes.

Madrid airport is vast and can entail long marches; however it's visually fab and as business passengers you can use the totally spectacular lounges there.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 01:54 PM
SRS
Original Poster

Okay, So here is what I am finding. Roundtrip on Iberia in business for about $2600 apiece. It would be a connection through Madrid. Iberia isn't partners with anyone I have enough miles with for a free ticket, so I am thinking I shoudl book when I get home from work tonight.

Sounds like it's a pretty good price.

And business class sounds good on Iberia. I did a seach on flyertalk and it also indicated what I am hearing here.

Thanks!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 04:43 PM
SRS
Original Poster

Ughh! I got home and the $2600 price is gone on Iberia. I'm going to try all the other suggestions. Thanks again!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 05:55 PM

Lufthansa had a business class fare sale last year for travel in August to Europe in the ballpark of $2500, IIRC.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I can still see the IB fare. What are your preferred travel dates?

BTW, if you book it through aa.com and use the "AA and Oneworld" option, putting LGA-ORD-(MAD)-MXP" (Milan) in the routing, it will price out about the same as JFK-MAD-MXP, except that by riding first class between La Guardia and O'Hare, then business between ORD and Madrid/Milan, you'll earn nearly enough miles for a free domestic coach ticket on AA or partners. Using this approach Rome comes out much higher for some reason, but you could take the train I suppose.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 06:59 AM
SRS
Original Poster

So I got into work this morning and the Iberia fare was still there. Don't know why I couldn't see it last night - maybe it was my computer (I have an Apple and sometimes it struggles with some applications - like international airline's websites apparently). Anyway, to end the saga, I just booked. I never ever spent that much on tickets, but I think it will be a cool experience and hopefully I will be pregnant so I really appreciate it. If not, I suppose I will appreciate it anyway! Thank you everyone!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -