Continental Flyertalk event and pictures 2/7/09

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2009, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two weeks ago, I went to the Continental Airlines/Flyertalk event at IAH. This was the 4th and probably final time they'd organize something like this. This was the 3rd time I attended, and I got the maintenance tour at IAH for Saturday morning. In the afternoon, there were two Q&A sessions with various managers, and then a presentation and Q&A session with CEO Larry Kellner and President Jeff Smisek; same format as last time.

Saturday night dinner/party was at a new hanger at IAH. They brought a 737-900ER for us to fool around with, as well as a display of the new flat-bed BusinessFirst seats that are going on their 772, 752 and 764 international aircraft starting this fall.

Gifts were given out to all participants, and some won up to 250,000 OnePass miles.

I am not going to post a detailed report this time, but my pictures are here:

rkkwan.zenfolio.com/flyertalkcodo4

Questions and comments welcomed, as always.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:16 AM

Thanks Ray!
I also attended the CO/FT "Do" and thought it was terrific - 525 frequent fliers and enthusiasts interacting with CO executives and staff who volunteered to work the event. There was a nicely catered Friday evening reception at an airport hotel with a well staged version of "Deal or No Deal" where the top prize (which no one snagged) was 1,000,000 FF miles. Saturday morning featured several tour options - the executive office, the kitchens, the maintenance area, a mystery tour that turned out to be a flight on a 737-900 staffed by CO executives or a visit to the pilot training facility with a chance to try out a flight simulator. Attendees had to sign up and express their tour preferences, assignments were made likely taking into account one's standing as elite in the CO OnePass FF program. I lucked out and got to play in the 777 simulator with the latest technology, including amazing graphics - a sure way to turn a middle aged man into something resembling a five year old with his first bicycle.
Saturday afternoon there were several panel discussions with CO senior leadership; I participated in a session on technology/web and another with the managers from the CO hubs. Following that was a brief presentation and open mike session with the CEO and President characterized by refreshingly frank discussion.
Saturday evening was the big social event - a party in a hangar, well catered by CO's own kitchens. The new BusinessFirst lie flat sleeper seats were on display, as was the new Live TV. A nice jazz band played, and there were more well produced games - a take off on Let's Make a Deal and some based on knowledge of CO trivia, with the winning team splitting a pot of 1,000,000 FF miles.
As Ray mentioned, this will probably be the last time this is done in this format - though participants paid their own travel costs, I am sure it cost a bundle to produce, from party planing to catering to the buses which ran from the three event hotels and the sessions. Marketing dollars well spent, though, if you consider that in order to get that much feedback from so many engaged and knowledgeable customers would require dozens of focus groups.

And, let me hasten to add, the of he highlights was seeing rkkwan in the flesh and being able to report that he looks great after his recent surgery!
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:22 PM
P_M

Hey you guys, we should have had a Fodor's GTG at this event!! That looks like so much fun.

But best of all, I'm glad to hear Ray has recovered nicely from his surgery.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

I was like a minor celebrity. A lot of people came chat with me and asked me how I felt.
Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 07:50 AM

Agree with P_M. Missed a great chance at GTG. Maybe another time. Thanks for the detailed reports and Ray glad you're doing well enough to have made the trip.