Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Continental and Newark Airport-- A Combination to Avoid or Embrace? (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/continental-and-newark-airport-a-combination-to-avoid-or-embrace-493191/)

dcdee Dec 31st, 2004 10:27 AM

Continental and Newark Airport-- A Combination to Avoid or Embrace?

We have generally flown to Europe on US Air or British Air from Phila. or Baltimore. We're now planning a fall trip to N. Italy. For obvious reasons, we're hesitant to rely on US Air and have found that Continental from BWI via Newark has a preferable schedule to British Air. However,we've never flown Continental nor passed through Newark. Anyone have any experiences or comments to point us in the right direction?

Pat2003 Dec 31st, 2004 11:18 AM

We have used Cotninental and Newark zillion times when traveliing to Europe, hawaii, Alaska and all over the U. S. It is like many other good airlines. Do not expect miracles. They are just fine and Newark airport is fine too. Enjoy your trip

Pat2003 Dec 31st, 2004 11:21 AM

I should say: We used Continental for flights to almost all 50 states including long flights to Hawaii and Alaska.

skitravel Jan 1st, 2005 01:03 PM

I think Continental does a fine job...all considering.....no way would I fly U.S.Airways...a flight attendant sat down and watched the movie on the last flight I was on...

Andrew Jan 1st, 2005 03:33 PM

I departed from Newark Terminal C via Continental last week, during the busy holiday week after Christmas. If you go at a peak time, be prepared for chaos! There are numerous different places you can check in and it's not obvious where you should go, you have to ask someone. After finding out which line to wait in, I got a tag for my luggage (I already had a boarding pass), then I had to wait 20 minutes in another line just to drop off my bag to the x-ray screeners! Then to the security line to the gates! I got to the airport 2.5 hours in advance and had only 30 minutes to grab some food before boarding my plane.

Still, I think you'll be fine if you get to the airport extra early. But I remember now why I prefer smaller airports.

Andrew

Seamus Jan 1st, 2005 04:43 PM

A loyal CO flyer, I have traversed EWR many times. As a global gateway it is indeed large, but reasonably laid out and the signage is good. Electric carts are available, if required, by asking a CO agent to call for one or just flagging down one passing by. EWR has a good number of eating places and shops, with several types of food and price ranges and they guarantee prices are no higher than found off-airport. There are multiple security checkpoints which eases congestion somewhat, though as a continuing passenger from BWI that will not be an issue.
Inflight service is pretty good in coach, delightful in BusinessFirst.

rkkwan Jan 2nd, 2005 04:06 AM

I connected through EWR on 12/24. The terminal is somewhat crowded, but no chaos in the "air side" of the terminal (I didn't notice chaos outside the security check-point either). And even when the 777 on CO99 to HKG is totally full, with about 30 people waiting for standby, boarding was okay, and we were only about 20 minutes late departing the gate. [Because of favorable wind, we arrived in HKG 35 minutes early.]

CO's Terminal C at EWR is really not particularly big. From gate 80 to 134, which is almost as long as you can get, only took me about 10-12 minutes. The exception is if your flight arrives at CO's pier in Terminal B. Not sure if BWI flights use those gates or not.

Still, it's easier than CO at IAH, and way better than DL at ATL. I don't think it'd be much different from USAirways at PHL.

Jed Jan 2nd, 2005 06:16 AM

We've been through Newark many times, mostly without trouble. But I understand that it is one of the airports with the highest rates of late departures.

One evening flight was delayed by bad weather - we sat on the tarmac for 4 hours. Worst experience we ever had - since we had to sit on the plane.

Andrew Jan 2nd, 2005 07:31 AM

Jed, I've been through Newark many times myself. I think going through Terminal C is the worst because it's so busy, and it's a Continental hub, with many flights and passengers departing from there. Terminals A and B are much easier to deal with in my experience.

The real point here probably is: hub airports or terminals are usually busier than non-hubs.

Andrew

dcdee Jan 3rd, 2005 06:06 PM

Thanks to all for your responses. I feel better about flying this route although from some comments I'm wondering if a little less than two hours is enough time to connect from our flt. from BWI to the EWR-MXP flt. Any comments on that? Thanks.

Andrew Jan 3rd, 2005 09:42 PM

If you are originating at BWI, not EWR, then my comments are pretty much invalid. Sorry, I misunderstood you and thought you were going the other way. International flights at EWR depart out of terminal B as I understand it, plus you will be connecting so you don't have to deal with any of the check-in stuff I mentioned, though you may have to re-check your luggage on the way back before you head back to BWI.

Going from EWR to MXP, two hours is probably plenty of time for a layover.

Andrew

Pat2003 Jan 4th, 2005 04:29 AM

More than enough time unless your first flight is delayed but this may happen regardless what airlines you are flying with, from where or where are you connecting. Good luck

LT Jan 4th, 2005 09:03 AM

dcdee:

CO is one of my first choices for domestic travel. I haven't taken them internationally, but I have seen many positive postings here.

While I prefer their CLE hub, you should be fine w/EWR.

But have you considered taking Alitalia out of IAD? They have a IAD-MXP nonstop.

Enjoy your trip!

dcdee Jan 5th, 2005 01:53 PM

Thanks to all for your resposes.

LT-- No doubt, Alitalia IAD-MXP would be the easiest. I've seen so many negative comments about Alitalia on Fodors, I frankly never considered using it. Perhaps I should. Thanks for the suggestion.